New Moon Articles by Tracy
LEO NEW MOON 2016: Dare to find Joy & Strength
Leo NEW MOON 2016
By Tracy Cook
Many years ago I studied lunar phases with Robert Buz Myers. It is my hope that he would be proud of my work today. Blessings to you, Buz!
What is a New Moon?
A new moon is the beginning of a 29-day cycle. Technically, when you look up in the sky you only see a thin section of the moon illuminated.
And the not so technical point of view?
Well, similar to farmers and indigenous people, who have used the eight phases of the moon for eons, astrologers also utilize the different phases of the Moon. Certainly on the New we know it is time to plant seeds. But the other seven phases are equally important.
Where should my focus be during this next 29-day cycle?
When we draft a chart for the new moon we can get a sense of the energy that will be up for processing for the next 29 days.
Okay what is this cycle about? Finding your creativity, love, bravery and strength so you can joyfully use it to tackle the world of nonsense we are in.
Children Play On A Swing Hanging From The Branches Of A Huge Oak Tree
Leo New Moon
August 2, 2016
10 Leo 58
Let it flow
Welcome to Leo New Moon
Once again we find ourselves at a brand smacking New Moon loaded with promise and excitement especially since it is glorious Leo. However, it would be astrological malpractice to not put this fun new moon in the bigger context of what is going on.
If you ever saw the movie Gone With The Wind, then you may remember how the movie opens. It is a big ol’ party on a plantation in antebellum Georgia. Scarlett O’Hara is surrounded by beaus and she is frustrated because everyone is talking about the conflict growing between the south and the north and her response is, “Fiddle dee dee this war talk is spoiling the fun at every party this spring.” This is of course rich for the audience because we know the Civil War is coming and Scarlett is so out of touch.
In a similar vain to only write about the fun and joy that is Leo New Moon and not talk about the tensions in September would miss the bigger picture and miss the opportunities we can harness in this 29 day Leo lunar cycle. My suggestion is we get our head screwed on straight so we aren’t Scarlett O’Hara at the end of Act II pulling up radishes exclaiming, “I’ll never go hungry again.”
I will explain in more detail in the Virgo New Report, which I will draft later in August but just so you know on September 1 we will have a solar eclipse with a Sun/Moon Square Mars & Saturn and an opposition to Neptune. On September 10th we will have the final round of Saturn square Neptune, which began last November and will take place during Mercury retrograde which was just like the second round we experienced in June. Blech. And on September 16 we will have the Pisces lunar eclipse. So, that is a lot of skank tension.
Leading up to next month, we have our own tensions during this Leo cycle, including the launch of the Mercury retrograde. But the good news is that Leo is setting us up in a big way to find our strength, creativity and joy and more to the point by activating Leo we will be ableo to use these energies going forward.
The Leo New Moon chart has a glorious trine with Saturn in Sag. Leo is bold and daring and confident in self. Leo rules love and love affairs; it is connected to the heart and pride. It is loyal and it is creative and brave. Saturn in Sag trusts beliefs and the power of focused enthusiasm. Together these energies color the whole 29- day cycle. Saturn with a bright flashlight digs deep into the chambers of Leo’s heart to find what pumps us up. It takes bravery to tell the truth about what is deep in our heart. And it takes courage to tell the truth to our self about the impact of our beliefs. With Saturn in Sag gently encouraging Sun in Leo we will see how our beliefs color our environment including our family, friends and co-workers. And the gentleness will also help forgive ourselves if there is little in our world that we take pride. Just acknowledging the lack of pride will give us new strength to make concrete changes and a path to a renewed self esteem.
The Sun/Moon in the chart is also in a wide trine with Mars the warrior adding more energy to the cycle as we find our strength and pride. Mars boosts us up if we are afraid to be bold and let our heart guide us. Our actions are in sync with our heart. Our heart may even catch up with our actions. We will know in our bones that sometimes the best move even when we don’t feel it to “Act as if.”
Most of us know Leo energy because we have friends who are Leos and we poke fun at them because their egos and pride can sometimes be so big they get themselves in trouble. But the other part of Leo is what we love. We love their big heartedness, their creativity, their generosity, willingness to stick up for someone, their bravery to put their ass on the line. And their ability to have fun!
This 29-day cycle we will be called upon to find our Leo. We need to find our fun, play, brave, creative and love chambers in our heart. Leo is in everyone’s chart. Some of us try to deny it. Some of us try to ignore it. But not this cycle. Nope. Many of us will access our creativity. Many of us will find our play and joy. Many of us will stick up for someone. Many of us will call out bullies. Many of us will pick up trash in our neighborhood. Or clean someone’s garden. Many of us will tell someone who is hurting us that they are indeed hurting us and not hide behind anger. Some of us who have been afraid to show anger will step up and bare teeth. And all of this will not be a struggle. We are ready for it and the universe is ready for us to find our Leo.
It is interesting that our brains have to go backwards for three weeks while we process the eclipses in September and the Saturn/Neptune final square. Well, that’s not exactly true our brains stay where they are but our thoughts will slow down. Perhaps we are not supposed to get too far out there with grand ideas. Instead our brains and thoughts have to be measured as we look at our daily life and make sure we are taking care of ourselves. For nearly a year we have been processing what is bluster and righteous from what is real. What is deceit from what is a higher love? And everyone has been tested to WALK their TALK. If we aren’t doing it we’re getting called on it. If others aren’t doing it we are calling them on it. Some are jettisoning people from their lives because they don’t do what they say. And visa versa, others are ditching us because we aren’t doing what we say. This last battle over truth between Saturn and Neptune will have the benefit of Mercury retrograde. It is as if the universe is saying to us, “I’m going to talk real slow so you really understand me”
The Mercury dates are as follows:
Mercury enters shadow August 10
Mercury station retrograde August 30 at 29 Virgo
Mercury station direct September 23 at 15 Virgo
Mercury exits shadow October 6
If you remember the mercury retrograde of June and thought it was a pain in the ass then prepare for pain in the ass part two. I will say that the mental mess up that is Mercury retrogrades in mutable signs is tempered a bit when it is in Gemini and Virgo since Mercury rules both signs. But at the end of the day there is no getting away from it that our brains may feel like they are bouncing beach balls on a mac book. Frozen at one moment and then revved up so much it feels like the synapses are feeding off Red Bull. Our calendars may be a bit insane and I don’t use that word figuratively. There may be very little air in your schedule. Getting grounded could be difficult. Take off your shoes, feel your feet in the grass. Get a hair cut. Get groomed. Get new vitamins. Be aware of your body. Yoga will really help. By the time we get to September 23 some of us will feel like we are on another planet and we will all be relieved. And as always, double- check every email you send. Do not hit REPLY ALL unless you mean it. Watch your banking transactions and other things you do daily. Do NOT buy a new computer or phone or anything big. Unless you are forced. Double check all your vacation plans. Make sure you print the right stuff.
March 25 Saturn retrograde 16 Sag 24
August 13 Saturn direct 9 Sag 46
April 7 2017 Saturn retrograde 27 Sag 47
August 25, 2017 Saturn direct 21 Sag 11
December 21, 2017 Saturn enters Capricorn
We have about another year and half of Saturn in Sag. God help us. I’m personally fatigued by the rhetoric and noisy jingoism. But that is why god in his infinite wisdom gives us two and half years to get Saturn right in a sign. It is just so yucky when we are getting it right in a righteous sign like Sag. Sigh.
But more to the point, Saturn has been retrograde since the end of March and those people with planets in Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces between 9 and 17 degrees have really been feeling stressed and burdened. The responsibilities have been great primarily because we are doing the “right thing”. I know I have two planets in the zone and Saturn has been all over my calendar, savings account, emails, phone calls…I could go on but won’t. Anyway, for the rest of you, remember the goal with Saturn in Sag is not to get blustery or righteous but instead tell the truth and as we have already discussed, WALK it. What are your beliefs? Do you think the world is a shitty place? How is that belief working out for you? Do you think you are unloved? How is that working out? Do you think you haven’t the time, strength, energy to do __________ . What is that thing in the black line? Something important. I don’t mean important like being the first person to fly to Mars. I mean important to your heart. Important to you. Here’s a secret, the more you work on doing something important for you the more likely you will be living a life with enriching beliefs. Isn’t it time? What have you learned since March? Now can you apply it until the next Saturn retrograde in Spring. I’ll make you a deal. I’ll try if you will. Let Leo help you get brave about what you want to really accomplish between now and December 2017 when Saturn leaves Sag.
Dates to watch
As we prepare to process the tension of Saturn and Neptune for the final time we could get hints of the lessons we are supposed to learn by what comes up around the following dates.
August 6 Mercury square Saturn
August 7 Mercury oppose Neptune
August 13 Saturn Direct
August 13 Venus Square Saturn
August 14 Venus oppose Neptune
August 24 Mars conjunct Saturn
August 25 Mars square Neptune
And also watch the moon:
August 4-5 Virgo Moon
August 11-12 Sag moon
August 18-19 Pisces Moon
August 24-25 Gemini Moon
Mercury, Venus and Mars will be getting into it with Saturn and Neptune while we are experiencing our 29 day Leo Lunar cycle. And so will the moon. Of course, we have our Leo love and our joy but some stuff could come up that gets under our crawl. Not just personally but also global stuff will unnerve us. Remember to stay close to your daily schedule. Stay close to learning the value of your creativity, bravery and love. And if yucky stuff comes up—breathe and remember your strength. Remember kindness. Remember actions you have done to take care of self or others have done for you. Do not get drawn into stupid stuff. And remember it is okay some days to wake up scared. But it should not freeze you. Still dare to do what you know you need to do even if you are scared. And remember Saturn and Neptune will not square each other again until 2025 so lets make the most of this energy now and learn something.
There is a lot of stressful energy out there that is building and building and will be felt in our Leo lunar cycle and upcoming Virgo. But Leo is brave and big and calling on us to find our inner source and joy and fun for 29 days. It should not be hard and some of us may use muscles we haven’t used in years or perhaps ever. And when it is over we will be ready to tackle anything September offers us. And to that we say, “Fiddle dee dee.”
Have you friended TracyAstroSalon on FB? Why not?
The 8 phases
Leo New Moon
August 2, 2016
4:44 am EDT
New moon: Plant seeds, make calls, activate, start projects. Activate something that will ideally lead you to more. This is the phase where INTENT is critical. Even if the results are not immediate, the intent is there. You may not have all the answers or road map but you should put out your Intent.
This focus: Where are you finding play? Where are you finding joy? How are you brave and creative? How are you bold? What seeds are you planting that speak to you being special? Isn’t it time? How are you ignoring the stupid stuff?
Aug 3: Mars semisq Pluto. Watch the driving and the temper. Are your actions bringing transformation? If not then why are you doing it?
Aug 5: Venus enters Virgo.
Aug 6: Mercury sq Saturn. Taciturn. Grumpy thoughts. Cold thoughts. Watch the bigotry. Schedule may change.
Crescent Moon Phase
Crescent: We will receive information, we will research a bit more, perhaps get feedback on stuff that we planted on new. Perhaps get some information that will help down the road on a seed we planted a while ago. We can collect some data now. Even if you think you are not getting information, stop, and re-look at everything. Who called you? Even the silliest things, when they come up during Crescent are note worthy. A parking ticket? An argument with a spouse? A refund check from the phone company? All of it needs to be considered a message from the universe. How can this information help you?
Focus on: What are you learning about details? How do they help your creativity? What are you learning about your schedule and how is it helping you be brave? What information are you learning about your heart? What are you learning about love?
8/6: Venus square Mars. Heart versus action. Male versus female. Actions versus receiving. Values feel stomped on. Actions feel lonely.
8/7: Mercury oppose Neptune. Conversation is confusing. Lies abound. Fuzzy thinking.
First Quarter Moon
August 10, 2016
First quarter: We do more actions based on the information that we just received. Or we feel our instincts guide us on something. We pursue again. We make another call or we see someone. We mail something. We stir the pot again. This can be a time when we realize that the goals we planted on New need more action from us, perhaps actions that involve breaking away. Are there people who say they have our best interest in heart but fear us growing away from them? Maybe we need to get help from others not the usual suspects. Some independence may need to be exerted.
Focus on: What is going on with your resources? What is going on with your shared assets? What actions can you take that empower your creativity? What actions can you take that release the dead and bring about transformation? How will that transformation support your creativity or your love?
8/10: Mercury trine Pluto. Transformative thinking. Letting go of thoughts that no longer serve. Thinking about new daily activities.
8/13: Saturn Direct (see above) 5:49am EDT
8/13: Venus square Saturn. Love feels cold. Love feels heavy in responsibility. Responsibilities feel more like work than out of love.
8/14: Venus oppose Neptune. Love is fuzzy. Personal love feels opposite greater bigger love.
We refine our information. We pick and choose, we discriminate, and we organize to be ‘Virgo’ like. We sort through details. Have we missed something? How are we sifting through the information? Go back and make sure something hasn’t been neglected. Refine our actions.
What are you learning about your executive abilities? How have you been neglecting your leadership? How have you been neglecting your practicality? How have you been forgetting important responsibilities? How have you been forgetting your ability to set up others to do their best?
8/16: Sun trine Uranus. Creativity gets a spark from out of the blue. Brilliance is out for all to see and enjoy.
8/17: Venus trine Pluto. Love feels transformed. Love feels a shedding. Power emboldens the heart. The heart enflames empowerment.
Full Moon Phase
August 18, 2016
25 Aquarius 51
Full Moon: We make the needed adjustments on the things we planted. Usually emotions are up and running and for those people who perhaps did not utilize the new moon and the rest of the waxing moon, this is when emotions can get the better of us. There can often be a big emotional break, for no other reason than to get back on track. Some partnership will offer up some balance. The moon is bright and full and there is no room for shadows, what is reflecting on you?
Focus on: Full Moon in Aquarius speaks to your ideals and how you share them with others. Who are your like-minded people? Do you hang out with them? Do you push on each other to bring out the best? Are you open to radical changes? Are you open to radical changes in the heart? Where are there blocks and is it time to let them go for the greater good? Where is pride and controlling getting in your way?
Go to blog for full moon report.
August 21: 2016
Disseminating: Share information; find a teacher or someone who has more knowledge. Perhaps there was a big ol’ blow out on the full and one feels in need of support and help, this is the phase to reach out to one who knows more. This is when we find a rabbi or a minister or therapist who gives us more insight. And of course, you too may be ready to teach and share your own information.
Focus on: How are you sharing your independence? How are you sharing fiery enthusiasm? How are you sharing the power of doing something solo? How are you sharing the importance of breaking free?
8/22: Mercury conjunct Jupiter. Big thoughts. Big ideas. Big calendar.
8/22: Sun enters Virgo
Last Quarter Moon Phase
August 24, 2016
Last Quarter moon: Now we do the final adjustments to the seeds we planted on new. The final call, the final letters to send, we follow all the trails that came up that still make sense. And we let the other parts lay fallow. It is a time of action but wise action. It is a time for living “The serenity prayer”
grant me the Serenity
to accept the things
I cannot change Courage to change the
things I can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference.
What actions can you take that support your communication? What creative actions supports your communicating? What actions can you take that share love with your siblings? Or your neighborhood?
8/24: Mars Square Neptune. Actions based on confusion. Fights based on confusion. Faith at odds with anger.
8/27: Venus conjunct Jupiter. Big love. Philosophies based on love. Joy meets bigger world.
Balsamic Moon Phase
August 28, 2016
Balsamic: We let go. By releasing we can prepare for the new.
Focus on We release our emotions. We release our moodiness. We release our roots. We release our need to hang on too tight.
8/28: Mercury conjunct Venus. Thoughts about love. Love of thinking. Creativity and values and mind are in synch.
8/29: Venus enters Libra
8/30: Mercury retrograde (see above) 9:03am EDT
Virgo New Moon September 1 (9 Virgo 21)
Astro Answers by Tracy
- 09-27-2007 Watch out! Here comes Saturn - By Tracy Cook
- 08-30-2007 Saturn in Virgo---Times up! by Tracy Cook
- 08-02-2007 Astro Thumbs Up: Void of Course Moons by Tracy Cook
- 07-21-2007 AstroThumbs Up: Guadalupe Virgin of The Americas by Tracy Cook
- 07-20-2007 Who am I? My Sun or My Moon? by Tracy Cook
- 06-10-2007 Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
- 05-20-2007 Who is in the Hot Seat by Tracy Cook
- 05-01-2007 Astro Coming Attraction by Tracy Cook
New Moon Articles by Tracy
- 2014: Sag New Moon --Change that perspective-NOW!
- 2nd Aquarius New Moon: 2015
- And now it is the Second Cancer New Moon!
- Aqaurius New Moon 2011--The New Quilting BEE!
- Aquarius New Moon 2010! It is a strange trip
- Aquarius New Moon 2012!
- Aquarius New Moon 2014 - You LikeMind me.
- Aquarius New Moon 2015 - The Zero One
- Aquarius New Moon 2016: Get Your Tribe On
- Aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of the chaos we find our Peeps.
- aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of the chaos we find our Peeps.
- Aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of The Chaos We Find our Peeps!!
- Aquarius New Moon--Unique Solutions if you are willing
- Aries New Moon - It will be a great Treasure Map time!
- Aries New Moon 2009---IT’S A BIG ONE!
- Aries New Moon 2010--Let's get this party started!
- Aries New Moon 2012: You rule!
- Aries New Moon 2014 Get out of the way! Your Life is Coming
- Aries New Moon 2016: Light this rocket!
- Aries New Moon! (2008) by Tracy Cook
- Aries New Moon, 2011- Yes it is a big one!
- Astro Coming Attraction by Tracy Cook
- Astro Thumbs Up: Void of Course Moons by Tracy Cook
- AstroThumbs Up: Guadalupe Virgin of The Americas by Tracy Cook
- Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon & The Grand Cross
- Cancer New Moon --The Great Healing by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon 2010---Your feelings have answers
- Cancer New Moon 2012 - "It's the flow, Baby!"
- Cancer New Moon 2014: REFRESH!
- Cancer New Moon 2016: Let It Flow
- Cancer New Moon--The first of two (2009)
- Cancer New Moon-Ready, Set, Emote! July, 14th 2007 by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon: 2013
- Cancer New Moon: Don't make me go find your roots...you do it!
- Capricorn 2010 NEW MOON--Taking Care of Business!
- Capricorn 2011-Aim your ambition-NOW
- Capricorn New Moon - Get Serious!
- Capricorn New Moon 2011 -Be the authority and move up!
- Capricorn New Moon 2013: Pragmatic and no excuses
- Capricorn New Moon 2014
- Capricorn NEW MOON 2016 ...Get Real!
- Capricorn New Moon: Slow and sensible is a-okay.
- Clean your Slate Capricorn New Moon! by Tracy Cook
- Dreaming on Pisces New Moon by Tracy Cook
- GEMINI NEW MOON 2011 –“Can someone turn on the air, please?”
- Gemini New Moon (2012)- Second time's the charm
- Gemini New Moon 2009---The Fast and Furious Talker
- Gemini New Moon 2010: A Tornado among us!
- Gemini New Moon 2013
- Gemini New Moon 2014: The power of light feet
- Gemini New Moon 2014: The power of light feet
- Gemini New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Gemini New Moon--the first round- 2012
- Gemini New Moon. Mental Exercises 2015
- Gemini New Moon. Mental Exercises 2015
- Gemini New Moon: Question and Shift
- Gemini- New Moon 2008-- Ready to Connect! by Tracy Cook
- Get out of the way---LEO NEW MOON is HERE!
- Get your Viking on--Aries New Moon 2013
- It is all a balancing act, Baby! Libra new moon 2008
- LEO 2008 New Moon--Sunny side of the street by Tracy Cook
- Leo New Moon - To be bold or not to be bold? That is the question
- Leo New Moon 2011--Your passion tells you so
- Leo New Moon 2012--The Heart Wants To Thrive
- Leo New Moon 2013: Be Big. Be Very Big
- Leo New Moon 2015: Learn from the Lion!
- LEO NEW MOON 2016: Dare to find Joy & Strength
- Leo's in the House..Roar! Sort of.. by Tracy Cook
- Libra New Moon (2007) by Tracy Cook
- Libra New Moon -How do you relate? Does it serve you?
- Libra New Moon 2009--The business of relating
- Libra New Moon 2012-
- Libra New Moon 2013 -- Balance That!
- Libra New Moon 2014: Let's really get our Libra on this time
- Libra New Moon 2015: Get your relationships straightened out
- Libra New Moon 2016: The Power of Negotiation
- New Moon in Aquarius 2013 Pull out your lightening rod-hits are coming
- New Moon in Virgo--Now you can fix your life
- New Moon Leo 2010--Wish upon a star--"Hey, that's me!"
- Pisces New Moon 2010--The LEAP of FAITH
- Pisces New Moon 2012: What is Dissolving?
- Pisces New Moon 2013 -Get in the flow
- Pisces New Moon 2014: Go for the Flow
- Pisces New Moon 2015
- Pisces New Moon 2016: Karma and Elevation
- Pisces New Moon 2017 -- The Big Release and Melt
- Pisces New Moon---Mystics Apply
- Pisces New Moon--Dive or wash up on shore, it is your choice!
- RESPOND TO RESPONSIBILTY-CAPRICORN NEW MOON 2008
- Sag New Moon 2010-- Ready, Aim---Change!
- Sag New Moon 2012 - A time to get real
- Sag New Moon---All Vision without the Hype!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2009--Ready, Aim, Adjust...Fire, Adjust, Aim, Ready..
- Sagittarius New Moon 2013 - Forward Ho!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2015: The Adventure!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2016: Get Wise Get Inspired
- Sagittarius New Moon--Mother Knows Best
- Saturn in Virgo---Times up! by Tracy Cook
- Scorpio New MOON 2009-Resources and Community--Where do I fit?
- Scorpio New Moon 2010-Jump in the water!
- Scorpio New moon 2012: Suit up and Commit
- Scorpio New Moon 2015
- Scorpio New Moon 2016: Release the death grip
- Scorpio NEW MOON by Tracy Cook
- Scorpio New Moon Solar Eclipse SHED! SHED!SHED!
- Scorpio New Moon(2011)--DNA, Survival and ditching Garbage
- Scorpio New Moon: Solar Eclipse 2014
- scorpio New Moon: Solar Eclipse 2015
- SURE RELATIONSHIPS BITE--BUT WE'RE ALL HUNGRY. Libra New Moon 2010
- Taurus New Moon 2010-----And so we begin.......
- Taurus New Moon 2011--Build upon it!
- TAURUS NEW MOON 2012 --What do you value?
- Taurus New Moon Eclipse: Yes you can make the changes!
- Taurus New Moon. Getting Practical ..Seriously, for real
- Taurus New Moon: Take the short route between A&B
- Taurus to the RESCUE!
- TaurusNewMoon 2014--Building Good bit by bit
- The Sea has changed---SCORPIO NEW MOON 2008
- There she blows!!! SAG NEW MOON is HERE! by Tracy Cook
- Tick Tock Virgo New Moon Strikes the Clock....2008
- Treasure Mapping by Tracy Cook
- Virgo New Moon - Your daily life is YOU. How is it going?
- VIRGO NEW MOON --GET YOUR MICRO ON!
- Virgo New Moon 2011- Help & Work serve you!
- Virgo New Moon 2012: Sweating the Small Stuff
- Virgo New Moon 2013: A Big Opportunity
- Virgo New Moon 2016 - What's that stuff in your schedule?
- Virgo New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Virgo New Moon--Details Rule
- Watch out! Here comes Saturn - By Tracy Cook
- What To Do This Taurus New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Who am I? My Sun or My Moon? by Tracy Cook
- Who is in the Hot Seat by Tracy Cook
- You had me at Hello, Aquarius New Moon by Tracy Cook