New Moon Articles by Tracy
Cancer New Moon 2012 - "It's the flow, Baby!"
CANCER NEW MOON 2012
By Tracy Cook
Many years ago I studied lunar phases with Robert Buz Myers. It is my hope that he would be proud of my work today. Blessings to you, Buz!
What is a New Moon?
A new moon is the beginning of a 28 day cycle. Technically, when you look up in the sky you only see a thin section of the moon illuminated.
And the not so technical point of view?
Well, similar to farmers and indigenous people, who have used the eight phases of the moon for eons, Astrologers also utilize the different phases of the Moon. Certainly on the New we know it is time to plant seeds. But the other seven phases are equally important.
Where should my focus be during this next 28-day cycle?
When we draft a chart for the new moon we can get a sense of the energy that will be up for processing for the next 28 days.
Okay what is this cycle about? Our emotions and our feelings will be flowing not to scare us or hinder us but to show us the way towards our future.
July 19 2012
26 Cancer 54
Cancer 27. A storm in a canyon. Keywords: family quarrels, violence, intensification, verbal disputes, turmoil, aggression, the ability to win in a crisis situation, enjoyment of quarrels.
CANCER NEW MOON
New Moon Phase
July 19, 12:24 am EDT
26 Cancer 54
LET IT FLOW
The Cancer lunar cycle is upon us. Hurray! Why do I say that? Because the last 56 days has been nothing but intellectual Gemini lunar cycles. They are great to get our brain on track and when we get our head screwed in correctly it can help us plan our next adventures. But seriously, it is nice to stop thinking everything over and over and instead, just simply let things flow. And as the first water sign of the zodiac, Cancer is all about flowing.
Do you feel parched? Does your brain just want to quiet down and let the feelings and intuition do the talking? I see you nodding your head. And to that, I say, “Me, too.”
Water is special, don’t take it for granted. More wars have been fought over water than oil or whiskey. Water is what makes Earth different, it is the only planet in our solar system to have it. Earth is covered 80 percent by oceans, seas, lakes and rivers. And what happens to those waters every day? They are pulled by tidal surges. Up they go and down they go, but the up waves do not judge the down drafts. They know that you can’t have one without the other. They just have to go with the flow.
Cancer the crab uses the waves to his advantage. When the waves are big he dives down and nestles himself in a rock and hides in his shell. Of course, not one to let an opportunity go by, if a fish happens to float near him, he will stick out his big claw and grab dinner. And then when the tides pull back the crab will poke out of the water and scamper on the shore finding all kinds of treats to his liking. Again, he knows how to go with the flow and always uses it to his advantage.
For 28 days we need to be like the crab, make the most of our opportunities. If we are in a retreat position then really retreat. Relax, hide, pull the curtains and get lost on our laptops, or watch sentimental old movies on TV. In the northern hemisphere we need to block out the harsh summer light with thick curtains. In the southern hemisphere we hide under a cozy blanket with a roaring fire nearby. We need to use quiet time to recharge.
Then when the tide pulls you out in the world, BE in the world. Don’t phone it in. Really show up and have all your senses turned on. That does not mean you have to move head strong and act on all of them because remember the crab never runs straight forward. The crab runs side to side. So, for example, you leave a conversation with a friend and have a funny feeling about it. Perhaps later when you are in a retreat mode you go back to that conversation and mull it over but like the crab not say directly what is on your mind, instead you poke near it, moving to the side until more data surfaces. Then perhaps you may say something. Or not. It all depends on the flow.
The other aspect of Cancer is emotions. Feelings are feelings, that thing you may not be able to put your finger on but emotions are strong feelings that usually get you to do an action. With Cancer both feelings and emotions will be up and down. But again, do not judge them. Just process them and then let them go. If you are really doing the magic that is Cancer you should go through a myriad of emotions or connect to various feelings in any given 24 hours. If you are stuck in one feeling or emotion all day then you are not working the gift of Cancer: Flow.
Be up, be down, so what? Just flow. Do not clog up and get stuck. Stuck water is never good. Don’t believe me? Then walk by a clogged drain and notice how it stinks to high heaven! Now imagine that smell in your body, in your heart, and in your psyche. If you are really stuck get up and move. The crab does not stay on the rock all day, he gets up and moves. Shake it up and see if you can get your mood shifted.
On this Cancer New Moon the Sun & Moon are in square to Saturn in Libra so a lot of our emotions and feelings will be around relationships (Libra) and responsibilities (Saturn). Are we tired? Do we feel that we are burdened with more responsibilities than is fair? Fair by the way is a Libra word. Or are others coming up to us and telling us that we aren’t caring our share?
Emotions and feelings could get strained. Perhaps we feel alone (Saturn) and don’t understand why we are alone. We may have thoughts about our childhood and family and what role it played in our makeup. Remember, Cancer rules memory, family, mom and childhood. To a certain extent it can rule children but really it is more about mom and family. If we feel stuck we should look at patterns that were started in childhood that no longer serve us now. This is the beauty of the square with Saturn. Saturn is about finding real concrete results and if we are ‘sick and tired of being sick and tired’ we can use Saturn to help us fix the patterns. Yes, Saturn can bring out depression but behind the depression is an action that is waiting to be made. Perhaps this cycle of flowing feelings and emotions, an emotion will finally activate an action that should have been activated a long time ago.
The darker side of Cancer is of course moodiness, snappiness (think of the claws) childlike emotions and overeating. The hard shell of the crab can look cold but under it all is soft flesh. If we find ourselves being super moody and childish then it is time to go back to the wheel house and rethink our patterns. Do something different. Don’t do the same old thing expecting a different result. Break new grounds and break up patterns.
In addition to the Sun/Moon square Saturn, the other overriding influence is Mars on Saturn, opposing Uranus and squaring Pluto. Mars is in Libra fighting with relationships and fighting for balanced relationships. Uranus in Aries knows that we need to make changes that will start new roads. But not just new roads in general, it has to be new paths that speak to our authentic self. Is that partner ready to go down those new authentic roads with us? At the same time Pluto in Capricorn knows that we can only find true executive empowerment internally. If we continue to look for power outside of ourselves we are doomed. But at the same time it does not mean looking for power internally means we will never have the right relationship. The key is being authentic, being comfortable being alone but holding a space for the right relationship. This is a difficult balancing act especially for people with planets at 7-10 degrees of Cancer, Libra, Capricorn and Aries.
During this 28 day lunar cycle, we should expect Mars the warrior to push and if there is any schism or weakness between partners and relationships there will be no hiding it. Saturn in Libra has been testing us for nearly two years about our values and in particular how we value our relationships. It will leave Libra in the fall where it will move on to Scorpio concerns. Interestingly Mars leaves Libra on August 23. I think it is auspicious that while we are in this Cancer lunar cycle working on our feelings and emotions, Spirit in his infinite wisdom sends Mars to go in and do battle with Saturn and energize us to get our relationships right. Are some of us accepting scraps from partners because we are too needy? Or do some of us think there is no relationship out there for us because of _____(fill in the blank)? Whatever our feelings tell us we should be ready for processing this cycle.
Normally Venus is in a sign for about three weeks but because of a Venus retrograde (wrapped up in June) we have been experiencing Venus in Gemini for four months. It went into Gemini the first week of April and now on August 7th Venus finally (and deserves the longest drum roll ever) –moves into Cancer. Venus will go from four months of ‘brain first, love second’ into soft, mushy Cancer. For some people who have persevered by telling their feelings, “Don’t worry, I’ll figure out a solution” will now have to shift because the heart cannot be mindf**ed any longer. Cozy, tender, soft emotions will have a place of honor after the 8th. Globally, there could be economic ramifications. And also, people horrified by the nonsense going on in Syria will no longer be assuaged by cool rhetoric. Emotions will be kicked up.
This New Moon is clouded a bit by Mercury retrograde but of course there are no accidents so in many ways it is perfect that Mercury the ruler of Gemini is retrograde for this watery Cancer lunar cycle. After 56 days of intellectual Gemini, perhaps Mercury retrograde helps us turn off our brain and let our feelings and emotions act as beacons. But a word of warning, we should acknowledge and process our feelings and emotions however, they should not override us. I tell my Cancer son (almost daily), “Your feelings don’t get to rule the day. Do you think I feel like driving you to school every day?” Of course, I have Moon in Cancer so telling it to him is a good reminder to me!
We have to get up and take care of our responsibilities but at the same time our feelings and emotions can act like a crystal ball and help direct us to our future.
Mercury retrograde in Leo may bring out some big ego moments where people get thinned skin and personalize stuff that has nothing to do with them. But Mercury retrograde in Leo can also help awaken self esteem. Watch and see what you accomplish and how you can take pride in those accomplishments. Feel the self esteem rise. Watch and see what comes up between now and August 8 (when Mercury stations direct) and see if your self confidence goes up a notch or two. But remember Ego is not the same as self esteem. If you don’t know the difference, check in with loved ones and they can tell you which one is in play. And of course, we all know the drill about not signing important documents and give plenty of time when traveling and the importance of being like a boy scout, “always prepared.” The summer mercury retrogrades can be such a pain in the butt. Double check all reservations!
BALSAMIC SPECIAL KICK
As we know the balsamic phase of the moon is when we release energy. On August 13th the Cancer balsamic phase begins where we will be double downing in our need to release emotions and feelings. Curiously, it is a very active three day phase, on August 15 Venus opposes Pluto then on August 16 Venus squares Uranus. Venus rules things that we value, such as money and love. Globally watch for a bump financially perhaps in commodities or currencies. Personally, there could be strains in relationships but the fact that this is taking place in the balsamic phase reminds us to not hang on, just shake it off and let it go. Also during the phase Mars digs in with Saturn like a tooth drilling once again pointing out ant relationship issues and asks, “What action are you going to take?” Then just before the Leo New Moon we get a sweet perky aspect between the Sun and Saturn reminding us that is always darkest before the dawn---but there will be a dawn.
In Conclusion: This cycle is about finding our way through the stormy seas that is our emotions and feelings. For some people accessing those emotions can be scary times. For others harnessing those emotions can take a lot of effort and discipline. Whatever path you take know that it is all helping you to be as authentic as possible within your family, loved ones and community. The world needs you to be authentic take this cycle to find it.
The 8 phases
New Moon Phase
July 19, 2012 12:24am EDT
New moon: Plant seeds, make calls, activate, start projects. Activate something that will ideally lead you to more. This is the phase where INTENT is critical. Even if the results are not immediate, the intent is there. You may not have all the answers or road map but you should put out your Intent.
Focus: What do your feelings tell you about your future? If you want your future to be different then you need to feel your feelings and your emotions and prepare a life that is supported the way you want. But first things first—you gotta feel stuff.
7/22: Jupiter/Uranus: Fun, lively breakthroughs, new thoughts inspire new growth.
Crescent Moon Phase
July 22 4:59am EDT
Crescent: We will receive information, we will research a bit more, perhaps get feedback on stuff that we planted on new. Perhaps get some information that will help down the road on a seed we planted a while ago. We can collect some data now. Even if you think you are not getting information, stop, and re-look at everything. Who called you? Even the silliest things, when they come up during Crescent are note worthy. A parking ticket? An argument with a spouse? A refund check from the phone company? All of it needs to be considered a message from the universe. How can this information help you?
Focus on: What details are coming up and what are they telling you? How do the details address your family as a whole? What do the details tell you about your emotions and your feelings? Have you neglected anything and how does it speak to your family/emotions/feelings? What data are you hearing?
7/22: Mercury/Mars: Fiery, fun, great communication. Sparks ignite actions.
7/22: Sun enters Leo. Make adjustments so your Leo friend feels special this year. They will give you hints.
7/24: Mercury/Jupiter: Big thoughts, big connects that inspire. “Foreign” efforts help.
7/25: Mercury/Uranus. Yesterday’s big thoughts create big changes todays. Thoughts & Breakthroughs.
First Quarter Moon
July 26 4:56am EDT
First quarter: We do more actions based on the information that we just received. Or we feel our instincts guide us on something. We pursue again. We make another call or we see someone. We mail something. We stir the pot again. This can be a time when we realize that the goals we planted on New need more action from us, perhaps actions that involve breaking away. Are there people who say they have our best interest in heart but fear us growing away from them? Maybe we need to get help from others not the usual suspects. Some independence may need to be exerted.
Focus on: What actions are you taking that speak to death and rebirth? What feelings are you releasing so you can find real empowerment? How are releasing your family so you can find real empowerment? What actions are you taking speak to your investments and loans?
Special focus :
7/28: Sun/Mercury: What did you almost forget that speaks about your self-esteem?
July 29, 2:08pm EDT
We refine our information. We pick and choose, we discriminate, we organize to be ‘Virgo’ like. We sort through details. Have we missed something? How are we sifting through the information? Go back and make sure something hasn’t been neglected. Refine our actions.
Focus on: What are you neglecting that speaks to your education? Have you missed the ability to bridge people, places, ideas? Where would something ‘foreign” help you as you process your feelings and emotions?
7/31: Sun/Uranus: Changes are imminent when the life force is calling you. What breakthroughs are talking to you?
7/31: Venus/Saturn: Accent on relationships that work and the working part of relationships. Read that twice.
Full Moon Phase
August 1, 11:27pm EDT
10 Aquarius 15
Full Moon: We make the needed adjustments on the things we planted. Usually emotions are up and running and for those people who perhaps did not utilize the new moon and the rest of the waxing moon, this is when emotions can get the better of us. There can often be a big emotional break, for no other reason than to get back on track. Some partnership will offer up some balance. The moon is bright and full and there is no room for shadows, what is reflecting on you?
Focus on: What do your friends tell us about ourselves and our family? What does it mean to hang out with like-minded people? Are they more like family than perhaps real family? How do we use our cool intellect to help support our emotions and feelings? How would cool intellect support our position in family?
See my blog for more on full moon. http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/
8/2: Sun/Jupiter: Creative, dynamic, moving out there in the world and not playing small.
Disseminating Moon Phase
August 5 2:33pm EDT
Disseminating: Share information; find a teacher or someone who has more knowledge. Perhaps there was a big ol’ blow out on the full and one feels in need of support and help, this is the phase to reach out to one who knows more. This is when we find a rabbi or a minister or therapist who gives us more insight. And of course, you too may be ready to teach and share your own information.
Focus on: What are you sharing that speaks to your religion? How is your spiritual nature being tapped? Who is speaking to you that makes you look at what you believe? What mystical elements are coming up that support you in the world? What if there really is no such thing as an accident? What if it is all define. What does that tell you about where you belong into your family? And how does it speak to your feelings and emotions?
8/7: Venus enters Cancer –hurray! A change!!! http://www.stellardays.com/PlacementChanges.aspx?Planet=ALL&EventID=1812&MoveTo=9/6/2012
8/8: Mercury turns direct 1:40am EDT ---together we say,”Amen”.
Last Quarter Moon Phase
August 9 2:55pm EDT
Last Quarter moon: Now we do the final adjustments to the seeds we planted on new. The final call, the final letters to send, we follow all the trails that came up that still make sense. And we let the other parts lay fallow. It is a time of action but wise action. It is a time for living “The serenity prayer”
God, grant me the Serenity
to accept the things
I cannot change Courage to change the
things I can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference.
Focus on: What actions can you take regarding your family, feelings and emotions that are rooted in the practical? What does real estate, money and banks have to deal with your family, feelings and emotions?
8/9: Venus/Neptune: Inspired to new heights. Cosmic alliances seem to point us in the right direction.
Balsamic Moon Phase
August 13 12:51am EDT
Balsamic: We let go. By releasing we can prepare for the new.
Focus on We release our feelings, we release our emotions. We release our pouty nature. We release our family. Huh, we release our family? Yes, we release them.
8/15: Venus/ Pluto. Love& Values feel threatened by forces that demand change.
8/15: Mars/Saturn. Focus on actions that amount to real, concrete results.
8/16: Venus/Uranus. Love & Values feels at odds with future growth.
8/16:Sun/Saturn. Fun & Lively motivations that build upon real results.
Leo New Moon August 17 11:54am EDT
Astro Answers by Tracy
- 09-27-2007 Watch out! Here comes Saturn - By Tracy Cook
- 08-30-2007 Saturn in Virgo---Times up! by Tracy Cook
- 08-02-2007 Astro Thumbs Up: Void of Course Moons by Tracy Cook
- 07-21-2007 AstroThumbs Up: Guadalupe Virgin of The Americas by Tracy Cook
- 07-20-2007 Who am I? My Sun or My Moon? by Tracy Cook
- 06-10-2007 Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
- 05-20-2007 Who is in the Hot Seat by Tracy Cook
- 05-01-2007 Astro Coming Attraction by Tracy Cook
New Moon Articles by Tracy
- 2014: Sag New Moon --Change that perspective-NOW!
- 2nd Aquarius New Moon: 2015
- And now it is the Second Cancer New Moon!
- Aqaurius New Moon 2011--The New Quilting BEE!
- Aquarius New Moon 2010! It is a strange trip
- Aquarius New Moon 2012!
- Aquarius New Moon 2014 - You LikeMind me.
- Aquarius New Moon 2015 - The Zero One
- Aquarius New Moon 2016: Get Your Tribe On
- Aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of the chaos we find our Peeps.
- aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of the chaos we find our Peeps.
- Aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of The Chaos We Find our Peeps!!
- Aquarius New Moon--Unique Solutions if you are willing
- Aries New Moon - It will be a great Treasure Map time!
- Aries New Moon 2009---IT’S A BIG ONE!
- Aries New Moon 2010--Let's get this party started!
- Aries New Moon 2012: You rule!
- Aries New Moon 2014 Get out of the way! Your Life is Coming
- Aries New Moon 2016: Light this rocket!
- Aries New Moon 2017
- Aries New Moon! (2008) by Tracy Cook
- Aries New Moon, 2011- Yes it is a big one!
- Astro Coming Attraction by Tracy Cook
- Astro Thumbs Up: Void of Course Moons by Tracy Cook
- AstroThumbs Up: Guadalupe Virgin of The Americas by Tracy Cook
- Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon & The Grand Cross
- Cancer New Moon --The Great Healing by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon 2010---Your feelings have answers
- Cancer New Moon 2012 - "It's the flow, Baby!"
- Cancer New Moon 2014: REFRESH!
- Cancer New Moon 2016: Let It Flow
- Cancer New Moon--The first of two (2009)
- Cancer New Moon-Ready, Set, Emote! July, 14th 2007 by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon: 2013
- Cancer New Moon: Don't make me go find your roots...you do it!
- Capricorn 2010 NEW MOON--Taking Care of Business!
- Capricorn 2011-Aim your ambition-NOW
- Capricorn New Moon - Get Serious!
- Capricorn New Moon 2011 -Be the authority and move up!
- Capricorn New Moon 2013: Pragmatic and no excuses
- Capricorn New Moon 2014
- Capricorn NEW MOON 2016 ...Get Real!
- Capricorn New Moon: Slow and sensible is a-okay.
- Clean your Slate Capricorn New Moon! by Tracy Cook
- Dreaming on Pisces New Moon by Tracy Cook
- GEMINI NEW MOON 2011 –“Can someone turn on the air, please?”
- Gemini New Moon (2012)- Second time's the charm
- Gemini New Moon 2009---The Fast and Furious Talker
- Gemini New Moon 2010: A Tornado among us!
- Gemini New Moon 2013
- Gemini New Moon 2014: The power of light feet
- Gemini New Moon 2014: The power of light feet
- Gemini New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Gemini New Moon--the first round- 2012
- Gemini New Moon. Mental Exercises 2015
- Gemini New Moon. Mental Exercises 2015
- Gemini New Moon: Question and Shift
- Gemini- New Moon 2008-- Ready to Connect! by Tracy Cook
- Get out of the way---LEO NEW MOON is HERE!
- Get your Viking on--Aries New Moon 2013
- It is all a balancing act, Baby! Libra new moon 2008
- LEO 2008 New Moon--Sunny side of the street by Tracy Cook
- Leo New Moon - To be bold or not to be bold? That is the question
- Leo New Moon 2011--Your passion tells you so
- Leo New Moon 2012--The Heart Wants To Thrive
- Leo New Moon 2013: Be Big. Be Very Big
- Leo New Moon 2015: Learn from the Lion!
- LEO NEW MOON 2016: Dare to find Joy & Strength
- Leo's in the House..Roar! Sort of.. by Tracy Cook
- Libra New Moon (2007) by Tracy Cook
- Libra New Moon -How do you relate? Does it serve you?
- Libra New Moon 2009--The business of relating
- Libra New Moon 2012-
- Libra New Moon 2013 -- Balance That!
- Libra New Moon 2014: Let's really get our Libra on this time
- Libra New Moon 2015: Get your relationships straightened out
- Libra New Moon 2016: The Power of Negotiation
- New Moon in Aquarius 2013 Pull out your lightening rod-hits are coming
- New Moon in Virgo--Now you can fix your life
- New Moon Leo 2010--Wish upon a star--"Hey, that's me!"
- Pisces New Moon 2010--The LEAP of FAITH
- Pisces New Moon 2012: What is Dissolving?
- Pisces New Moon 2013 -Get in the flow
- Pisces New Moon 2014: Go for the Flow
- Pisces New Moon 2015
- Pisces New Moon 2016: Karma and Elevation
- Pisces New Moon 2017 -- The Big Release and Melt
- Pisces New Moon---Mystics Apply
- Pisces New Moon--Dive or wash up on shore, it is your choice!
- RESPOND TO RESPONSIBILTY-CAPRICORN NEW MOON 2008
- Sag New Moon 2010-- Ready, Aim---Change!
- Sag New Moon 2012 - A time to get real
- Sag New Moon---All Vision without the Hype!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2009--Ready, Aim, Adjust...Fire, Adjust, Aim, Ready..
- Sagittarius New Moon 2013 - Forward Ho!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2015: The Adventure!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2016: Get Wise Get Inspired
- Sagittarius New Moon--Mother Knows Best
- Saturn in Virgo---Times up! by Tracy Cook
- Scorpio New MOON 2009-Resources and Community--Where do I fit?
- Scorpio New Moon 2010-Jump in the water!
- Scorpio New moon 2012: Suit up and Commit
- Scorpio New Moon 2015
- Scorpio New Moon 2016: Release the death grip
- Scorpio NEW MOON by Tracy Cook
- Scorpio New Moon Solar Eclipse SHED! SHED!SHED!
- Scorpio New Moon(2011)--DNA, Survival and ditching Garbage
- Scorpio New Moon: Solar Eclipse 2014
- scorpio New Moon: Solar Eclipse 2015
- SURE RELATIONSHIPS BITE--BUT WE'RE ALL HUNGRY. Libra New Moon 2010
- Taurus New Moon 2010-----And so we begin.......
- Taurus New Moon 2011--Build upon it!
- TAURUS NEW MOON 2012 --What do you value?
- Taurus New Moon Eclipse: Yes you can make the changes!
- Taurus New Moon. Getting Practical ..Seriously, for real
- Taurus New Moon: Take the short route between A&B
- Taurus to the RESCUE!
- TaurusNewMoon 2014--Building Good bit by bit
- The Sea has changed---SCORPIO NEW MOON 2008
- There she blows!!! SAG NEW MOON is HERE! by Tracy Cook
- Tick Tock Virgo New Moon Strikes the Clock....2008
- Treasure Mapping by Tracy Cook
- Virgo New Moon - Your daily life is YOU. How is it going?
- VIRGO NEW MOON --GET YOUR MICRO ON!
- Virgo New Moon 2011- Help & Work serve you!
- Virgo New Moon 2012: Sweating the Small Stuff
- Virgo New Moon 2013: A Big Opportunity
- Virgo New Moon 2016 - What's that stuff in your schedule?
- Virgo New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Virgo New Moon--Details Rule
- Watch out! Here comes Saturn - By Tracy Cook
- What To Do This Taurus New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Who am I? My Sun or My Moon? by Tracy Cook
- Who is in the Hot Seat by Tracy Cook
- You had me at Hello, Aquarius New Moon by Tracy Cook