New Moon Articles by Tracy
Leo New Moon 2013: Be Big. Be Very Big
Leo New Moon 2013
By Tracy Cook
Many years ago I studied lunar phases with Robert Buz Myers. It is my hope that he would be proud of my work today. Blessings to you, Buz!
What is a New Moon?
A new moon is the beginning of a 28-day cycle. Technically, when you look up in the sky you only see a thin section of the moon illuminated.
And the not so technical point of view?
Well, similar to farmers and indigenous people, who have used the eight phases of the moon for eons, astrologers also utilize the different phases of the Moon. Certainly on the New we know it is time to plant seeds. But the other seven phases are equally important.
Where should my focus be during this next 28-day cycle?
When we draft a chart for the new moon we can get a sense of the energy that will be up for processing for the next 28 days.
Okay what is this cycle about? Be big. Be very, very big. Repeat. Be Big. Be very, very big.
LEO NEW MOON
August 6, 2013
2:51 PM PDT
14 Leo 35
A Pageant, With Its Spectacular Floats, Moves Along A Street Crowded With Cheering People
BIRTHIN’ YOUR CREATIVE BABY
I had a conversation with a family member not too long ago who was complaining about a celebrity in the news. The beef was not so much about the celebrity as much as it was that the story was in the news. I absolutely understood the rolled eyes and the complaint, “This isn’t news!” But I did feel inclined to mention this is not limited to our blessed 21st century. Archeologists have excavated thousands of examples of celebrity news from other eras. For example, there is graffiti on walls in Pompeii bestowing the virtues of Tetraites a gladiator and his victory over another gladiator in one huge bout. And it was not just local lore; pottery with Tetraites image was found as far away as France and England. Basically, this guy was the Brad Pitt, Lance Armstrong, and probably Anthony Weiner (if there was texting) of Ancient Rome. And he was not the only one to make it to pottery fame, (the equivalent to NY Post) there are tons of ancient celebrities on clay, caves and coins. So, let’s all get on the same page on this topic. There have been celebrities and fans interested in those celebrities for thousands of years. Nothing new there. And at the same time there was some gal or guy in a toga in Rome who rolled their eyes whenever anyone brought up Tetraites and said, “Oh, him again. Who cares? I have got grapes to squash.”
So why are humans drawn to celebrities either by attraction or repulsion? And yes those who go on and on about celebrities in the anti voice, “I hate her, him, they are no big deal, blah, blah, blah” are a bit like characters in a Shakespeare play aka, “thou protest too much.” They are hooked whether they know it or not. Anyway, the dynamics behind the celebrity and the fan/non fan is a relationship that speaks to unique creativity. This person who has set him or herself apart by merit, by pedigree, by whatever means is really a reminder to us that we are all unique and special. It is not so much about ‘Oh, look how cool Brad Pitt is building houses in the 9th ward of New Orleans.” But more a reminder, “I have many interests too and I also want to be of service.” It is not about making Lance Armstrong a hero-villain but more as a reminder, “All that talent wasted, where is my own hubris getting in my way?” The celebrity versus the rest of us -- is just one huge mirror reflecting our own forgotten or unrealized desires. And who helps us find those desires? Leo.
During the Leo 28-day lunar cycle we are inspired to find our desires and above all -- be creative. Creativity is a loaded word. When you read it what comes up for you? For many, being creative is like breathing. Create, create, create, you are doing it all the time. Or at the very least you acknowledge that you are connected to creating.
Then there are others who will say, “I’m not a creative type. I’m not an artist.” Right there you have it wrong when you associate creativity with art. Creativity can be artistry but it is not limited to it. For example you can be sitting at your desk at an unbelievably technical job, crunching numbers or something equally dry when your co-worker comes up to you and asks you a question. At first you want to give a quick answer and move back to your work. But then you see the look in your friend’s face and you stop, you take a breath, you think for a moment and you give a thoughtful answer. Perhaps that answer will help your friend in a minimal way or maybe it won’t help or maybe it actually will be a solution to a larger problem. But right there in that moment, after you took a breath found your center and gave your friend an answer- right there is creation. That is the moment of birth.
And it should be no surprise that Leo, the loudest, most glorious, ‘movie star’ like sign is also the sign associate with birthing and creating. Of course in the Tarot deck Leo is the Strength card. Ask yourself, how much strength does it take to go and birth something? Whether you are standing on a stage, or doing surgery, or working in a cosmetics counter, picking the absolute perfect shade of blush for the tired customer—you are birthing. And that takes passionate strength. This is Leo. It is Leo who knows there is something good, actually very good on the other side of fear. He will use his legendary strength and go for it. For 28 days we need to set the bar high, be creative and reach like every day is a new day. Every day is a birth. Every day is an opportunity to find our desires and go for it. Every day we find our strength. Every day we are a star. And also, don’t forget to party! I’m not saying get drunk on cheap vodka, I’m saying have fun with people. Enjoy a fun joke, a fun moment, laugh until you are crying. Allow yourself to be silly!
The chart for this Leo New Moon has a Sun/Moon trine Uranus putting the emphasis on breaking new ground, breaking out, breaking free. Drama will be big news this cycle, especially unusual, weird, funny, odd, and curious stories. This is not the cycle where it will be drama from the status quo world. It will be different and odd and you will have many moments when you hear about something both in your personal world and the greater global world where you say, “Wow, that was a creative choice.”
At the time of this writing, which is twenty-four hours before the new moon forms I heard something that made me think of the chart. I was chatting with this guy who mentioned to me that his nephew had started high school last year and found the work too easy so in the winter at age 16 he got his GRE then entered local city college and started going for his AA. He plans on transferring to UCLA his junior year when he is eighteen and then go on to medical school. The guy said that his nephew was not super genius smart like Doogie Howser but smart enough and he had other friends who have done the same thing. Let me tell you that was not going on when I was a kid! Yes, there were always the crazy eggheads who skipped a year or two, but the regular smart kid doing this is news to me. Normally, they had to slog it out with the rest of the plebeians for three years being the ‘good’ students. Imagine bypassing all the silliness of high school and just cutting to the chase. I thought, of unique Uranus in Aries trine Sun in Leo when he told it to me. What stories will you hear this cycle? How do other people create interesting lives? How are you creating your own interesting solutions, ideas, goals, whatever that makes your life enriching? Watch the stories you hear.
Interestingly, Jupiter the biggest planet in our zodiac will be making a lot of noise this cycle. I say interesting because we already know Leo cycle is a big and noisy and now we have Jupiter the biggest planet around being noisy. Feels like big squared. What is causing all the commotion? On August 7, Jupiter will make the first of three oppositions to Pluto. Round two will be in January 2014 and Round three will be in April 2014. The one in April is exceptionally dramatic given there will another round of t squares with the cardinals with other planets but let’s not get bogged down with that right now. Anyway, Jupiter in Cancer is all about BIG emotions. It is not just tears it is a river of tears. It is not chuckles it is laughing so hard your sides ache. It is not just angry shouts it is a volcanic explosion. It will be a year of big emotions. And opposite those emotions at least right now for round one of Pluto in Capricorn who is cold as ice. Business versus emotions. Opinionated versus discretion. Make money not tears. I don’t follow sports (like at all) but even I seem to know about A-Rod and his problems. Smells like Jupiter versus Pluto to me.
Depending on what houses transiting Pluto and Jupiter are traveling in your chart the tension will be noticeable. Where are you emoting big time and where are you non plussed, cool as a cucumber? Watch August 7th. That may give you an idea how this aspect is playing in your life. Also in today’s news was the story that Jeff Bezos founder of Amazon has personally purchased the Washington Post. Okay—there is Sun trine Uranus and Jupiter oppose Pluto in Capricorn in one move. I will bet money that the move is based more on emotions than business whether Mr. Bezos admits it or not.
Once Jupiter finishes up with Pluto, he then moves into a square with Uranus. Mr Big Emotions squaring off with Rebel with and without a cause. Blech. I think it is interesting that many embassies were shut down this weekend as Jupiter approaches Pluto (8/7) and I am wondering if there will be an echo effect around the 21st. It will be curious. This tension is thick and of course the last time Jupiter was in Cancer was 2001 and you remember that fall. Remember you will be feeling this personally in your chart in a more profound way if you have any planets in cardinal signs (Aries, Cancer, Libra & Capricorn) between 9-12 degrees. Watch what comes up for you between August 7 and August 21.
Luckily, Jupiter is getting some nice trines with Neptune and Saturn. Spirit (Neptune in Pisces) and practical regeneration (Saturn in Scorpio) are empowered by emotions (Jupiter in Cancer). This is an aspect where we feel things and get inspired to do something that sprouts new growth. Thank you, Universe for this aspect. We need the perks!
And of course, I am amused that once again those of us in the United States have a giant powerball lottery in front of us and we have to look no further than Jupiter. Go out and get a ticket! I would love one of you to win. Or me!
This is a dynamic 28 days. And it begs for you to shine like a star. Do not sit around and cast judgment. Instead dig in deep and find what makes you tick, what makes you happy, what brings you joy, what levitates you—get out there for the next 28 days and shine like a star and celebrate you! You can be small on another lunar cycle but this one….be big!
Leo New Moon
The 8 phases
August 6, 2013
2:51 PM PDT
14 Leo 35
New moon: Plant seeds, make calls, activate, start projects. Activate something that will ideally lead you to more. This is the phase where INTENT is critical. Even if the results are not immediate, the intent is there. You may not have all the answers or road map but you should put out your Intent.
Focus: Where are you creative? What are you doing that takes you out of the shadows and makes you big? Where are you ready to show the world you know how to have fun and play.
8/7: Jupiter oppose Pluto (see above)
8/8: Mercury enters Leo http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/mercuryinsigns.html
8/8: Venus/Saturn: Love and Money feel tweaked. Taking responsibility for both.
Crescent Moon Phase
Crescent: We will receive information, we will research a bit more, perhaps get feedback on stuff that we planted on new. Perhaps get some information that will help down the road on a seed we planted a while ago. We can collect some data now. Even if you think you are not getting information, stop, and re-look at everything. Who called you? Even the silliest things, when they come up during Crescent are note worthy. A parking ticket? An argument with a spouse? A refund check from the phone company? All of it needs to be considered a message from the universe. How can this information help you?
Focus on: What information are you receiving your partnerships? About your marriages? What information are you learning about balance? How is your strength supported by your partners? Are you too strong or are you not strong enough? Why?
8/11: Mercury/Saturn: Harsh language, cutting to the quick snaps. Great time to make a point that won’t be forgotten. Good news bad news.
First Quarter Moon
First quarter: We do more actions based on the information that we just received. Or we feel our instincts guide us on something. We pursue again. We make another call or we see someone. We mail something. We stir the pot again. This can be a time when we realize that the goals we planted on New need more action from us, perhaps actions that involve breaking away. Are there people who say they have our best interest in heart but fear us growing away from them? Maybe we need to get help from others not the usual suspects. Some independence may need to be exerted.
Focus on: What actions are you taking that promote sex? How about loans? What actions do you need to take on debts or loans? What actions do you need to take that support death AND rebirth? What cuts need to be made so that you can feel regenerative?
8/14: Mercury/Uranus: Daring, creative thinking. Conversation that gets something new going.
8/16: Venus in Libra http://theastrologyplace.blogspot.com/2010/11/venus-in-libra.html
August 17 3:52p EDT
We refine our information. We pick and choose, we discriminate, and we organize to be ‘Virgo’ like. We sort through details. Have we missed something? How are we sifting through the information? Go back and make sure something hasn’t been neglected. Refine our actions.
What details are you learning about your career? What details are you learning about your position in the world? How is society impacting your daily life? Are there changes you would like to make that would impact your societal position but me more satisfying in your daily life?
Full Moon Phase
August 20 9:44EDT
28 Aq 11
Full Moon: We make the needed adjustments on the things we planted. Usually emotions are up and running and for those people who perhaps did not utilize the new moon and the rest of the waxing moon, this is when emotions can get the better of us. There can often be a big emotional break, for no other reason than to get back on track. Some partnership will offer up some balance. The moon is bright and full and there is no room for shadows, what is reflecting on you?
Focus on: Guess what ? Last month we had a full moon in Aquarius and here we are again with a Full Moon in Aquarius. Guess spirit really wants us to get these lessons on:
How can you find your strength and share it with like minded people and then do something spectacular? Does the group of people who you hang out with share your values? Why not? Do you have people around you who push you to be better? To be extraordinary? Why not? Does your group get your mojo? Why not?
See my blog for more on full moon. http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/
8/21: Jupiter square Uranus (see above)
8/22: Sun in Virgo. Call up your Virgo and ask them what they want or need? Don’t surprise them. They have been morphing so much lately that you gotta ask them what they want.
8/23: Mercury in Virgo
8/24: Venus/Pluto. Love of power and the power of love…are all tweaked out. Breathe.
8:25 am EDT
Disseminating Moon Phase
Disseminating: Share information; find a teacher or someone who has more knowledge. Perhaps there was a big ol’ blow out on the full and one feels in need of support and help, this is the phase to reach out to one who knows more. This is when we find a rabbi or a minister or therapist who gives us more insight. And of course, you too may be ready to teach and share your own information.
Focus on: How are you sharing your natural leadership? How are you sharing your enthusiasm? How are you sharing your independence? How are others sharing their enthusiasm with you? How are you a person others want to emulate? How are you looking for someone you can emulate?
8/24: Sun/Mercury Inspired thoughts that illuminate new possibilities to get organized and improve diet and hygiene.
8/25: Mercury/Neptune: Fuzzy thinking, not clear communication or not truthful communication. Meditating may help. Accent on ‘may’.
8/26: Venus/Uranus: Abrupt changes in love and resources. Partnerships involved.
8/26: Sun/Neptune. Actions based on spirituality. Deepening connection to source.
8/27: Venus/Jupiter. Big money, big love…big tension.
8/27 Mars in Leo http://astrology.about.com/od/thebirthchart/qt/MarsLeo.htm
Last Quarter Moon Phase
5:34 am EDT
Last Quarter moon: Now we do the final adjustments to the seeds we planted on new. The final call, the final letters to send, we follow all the trails that came up that still make sense. And we let the other parts lay fallow. It is a time of action but wise action. It is a time for living “The serenity prayer”
grant me the Serenity
to accept the things
I cannot change Courage to change the
things I can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference.
Focus on: What actions can you take open up your communication? What can you take that improves relationships with siblings? What actions can you take support your relationships with neighbors?
8/28: Mercury/Pluto. Terrific mental focus. Ability to think in a deep way. Communication exact and to the point.
8/29: Sun/Saturn. Taking care of business and feeling energized by it.
8/31: Mercury/Jupiter. Great thinking brings groups together. Good collaborative aspect.
9/1: Sun/Pluto: Enthusiastic, regenerative. Resourceful. Peeling an onion and finding a new fresh layer.
Balsamic Moon Phase
September 1, 8:29 EDT
Balsamic: We let go. By releasing we can prepare for the new.
Focus on We release our family. We release our emotions. We release our cloyingness. We release our fears.
9/2: Mercury/Mars. Harsh conversation. Sparring over words. Abrupt actions. Getting called on stuff then responding harsh.
9/4: Mercury/Saturn: Cold conversation. Cold thoughts. Responsibility overs mind.
VIRGO NEW MOON August 5 7:36PM EDT
Astro Answers by Tracy
- 09-27-2007 Watch out! Here comes Saturn - By Tracy Cook
- 08-30-2007 Saturn in Virgo---Times up! by Tracy Cook
- 08-02-2007 Astro Thumbs Up: Void of Course Moons by Tracy Cook
- 07-21-2007 AstroThumbs Up: Guadalupe Virgin of The Americas by Tracy Cook
- 07-20-2007 Who am I? My Sun or My Moon? by Tracy Cook
- 06-10-2007 Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
- 05-20-2007 Who is in the Hot Seat by Tracy Cook
- 05-01-2007 Astro Coming Attraction by Tracy Cook
New Moon Articles by Tracy
- 2014: Sag New Moon --Change that perspective-NOW!
- 2nd Aquarius New Moon: 2015
- And now it is the Second Cancer New Moon!
- Aqaurius New Moon 2011--The New Quilting BEE!
- Aquarius New Moon 2010! It is a strange trip
- Aquarius New Moon 2012!
- Aquarius New Moon 2014 - You LikeMind me.
- Aquarius New Moon 2015 - The Zero One
- Aquarius New Moon 2016: Get Your Tribe On
- Aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of the chaos we find our Peeps.
- aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of the chaos we find our Peeps.
- Aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of The Chaos We Find our Peeps!!
- Aquarius New Moon--Unique Solutions if you are willing
- Aries New Moon - It will be a great Treasure Map time!
- Aries New Moon 2009---IT’S A BIG ONE!
- Aries New Moon 2010--Let's get this party started!
- Aries New Moon 2012: You rule!
- Aries New Moon 2014 Get out of the way! Your Life is Coming
- Aries New Moon 2016: Light this rocket!
- Aries New Moon 2017
- Aries New Moon! (2008) by Tracy Cook
- Aries New Moon, 2011- Yes it is a big one!
- Astro Coming Attraction by Tracy Cook
- Astro Thumbs Up: Void of Course Moons by Tracy Cook
- AstroThumbs Up: Guadalupe Virgin of The Americas by Tracy Cook
- Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon & The Grand Cross
- Cancer New Moon --The Great Healing by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon 2010---Your feelings have answers
- Cancer New Moon 2012 - "It's the flow, Baby!"
- Cancer New Moon 2014: REFRESH!
- Cancer New Moon 2016: Let It Flow
- Cancer New Moon 2017: Are your emotions flowing? Good.
- Cancer New Moon--The first of two (2009)
- Cancer New Moon-Ready, Set, Emote! July, 14th 2007 by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon: 2013
- Cancer New Moon: Don't make me go find your roots...you do it!
- Capricorn 2010 NEW MOON--Taking Care of Business!
- Capricorn 2011-Aim your ambition-NOW
- Capricorn New Moon - Get Serious!
- Capricorn New Moon 2011 -Be the authority and move up!
- Capricorn New Moon 2013: Pragmatic and no excuses
- Capricorn New Moon 2014
- Capricorn NEW MOON 2016 ...Get Real!
- Capricorn New Moon: Slow and sensible is a-okay.
- Clean your Slate Capricorn New Moon! by Tracy Cook
- Dreaming on Pisces New Moon by Tracy Cook
- GEMINI NEW MOON 2011 –“Can someone turn on the air, please?”
- Gemini New Moon (2012)- Second time's the charm
- Gemini New Moon 2009---The Fast and Furious Talker
- Gemini New Moon 2010: A Tornado among us!
- Gemini New Moon 2013
- Gemini New Moon 2014: The power of light feet
- Gemini New Moon 2014: The power of light feet
- Gemini New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Gemini New Moon-- Reach out! Mix it Up!
- Gemini New Moon--the first round- 2012
- Gemini New Moon. Mental Exercises 2015
- Gemini New Moon. Mental Exercises 2015
- Gemini New Moon: Question and Shift
- Gemini- New Moon 2008-- Ready to Connect! by Tracy Cook
- Get out of the way---LEO NEW MOON is HERE!
- Get your Viking on--Aries New Moon 2013
- It is all a balancing act, Baby! Libra new moon 2008
- LEO 2008 New Moon--Sunny side of the street by Tracy Cook
- Leo New Moon - Round two & Solar Eclipse 2017
- Leo New Moon - The First One! 2017
- Leo New Moon - The First One! 2017
- Leo New Moon - To be bold or not to be bold? That is the question
- Leo New Moon 2011--Your passion tells you so
- Leo New Moon 2012--The Heart Wants To Thrive
- Leo New Moon 2013: Be Big. Be Very Big
- Leo New Moon 2015: Learn from the Lion!
- LEO NEW MOON 2016: Dare to find Joy & Strength
- Leo's in the House..Roar! Sort of.. by Tracy Cook
- Libra New Moon (2007) by Tracy Cook
- Libra New Moon -How do you relate? Does it serve you?
- Libra New Moon 2009--The business of relating
- Libra New Moon 2012-
- Libra New Moon 2013 -- Balance That!
- Libra New Moon 2014: Let's really get our Libra on this time
- Libra New Moon 2015: Get your relationships straightened out
- Libra New Moon 2016: The Power of Negotiation
- Libra New Moon 2017: Not as light as you think
- New Moon in Aquarius 2013 Pull out your lightening rod-hits are coming
- New Moon in Virgo--Now you can fix your life
- New Moon Leo 2010--Wish upon a star--"Hey, that's me!"
- Pisces New Moon 2010--The LEAP of FAITH
- Pisces New Moon 2012: What is Dissolving?
- Pisces New Moon 2013 -Get in the flow
- Pisces New Moon 2014: Go for the Flow
- Pisces New Moon 2015
- Pisces New Moon 2016: Karma and Elevation
- Pisces New Moon 2017 -- The Big Release and Melt
- Pisces New Moon---Mystics Apply
- Pisces New Moon--Dive or wash up on shore, it is your choice!
- RESPOND TO RESPONSIBILTY-CAPRICORN NEW MOON 2008
- Sag New Moon 2010-- Ready, Aim---Change!
- Sag New Moon 2012 - A time to get real
- Sag New Moon---All Vision without the Hype!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2009--Ready, Aim, Adjust...Fire, Adjust, Aim, Ready..
- Sagittarius New Moon 2013 - Forward Ho!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2015: The Adventure!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2016: Get Wise Get Inspired
- Sagittarius New Moon--Mother Knows Best
- Saturn in Virgo---Times up! by Tracy Cook
- Scorpio New MOON 2009-Resources and Community--Where do I fit?
- Scorpio New Moon 2010-Jump in the water!
- Scorpio New moon 2012: Suit up and Commit
- Scorpio New Moon 2015
- Scorpio New Moon 2016: Release the death grip
- Scorpio NEW MOON by Tracy Cook
- Scorpio New Moon Solar Eclipse SHED! SHED!SHED!
- Scorpio New Moon(2011)--DNA, Survival and ditching Garbage
- Scorpio New Moon: Solar Eclipse 2014
- scorpio New Moon: Solar Eclipse 2015
- SURE RELATIONSHIPS BITE--BUT WE'RE ALL HUNGRY. Libra New Moon 2010
- Taurus New Moon 2010-----And so we begin.......
- Taurus New Moon 2011--Build upon it!
- TAURUS NEW MOON 2012 --What do you value?
- Taurus New Moon 2017: Practicality for a Personal Revolution
- Taurus New Moon Eclipse: Yes you can make the changes!
- Taurus New Moon. Getting Practical ..Seriously, for real
- Taurus New Moon: Take the short route between A&B
- Taurus to the RESCUE!
- TaurusNewMoon 2014--Building Good bit by bit
- The Sea has changed---SCORPIO NEW MOON 2008
- There she blows!!! SAG NEW MOON is HERE! by Tracy Cook
- Tick Tock Virgo New Moon Strikes the Clock....2008
- Treasure Mapping by Tracy Cook
- Virgo New Moon - Your daily life is YOU. How is it going?
- VIRGO NEW MOON --GET YOUR MICRO ON!
- Virgo New Moon 2011- Help & Work serve you!
- Virgo New Moon 2012: Sweating the Small Stuff
- Virgo New Moon 2013: A Big Opportunity
- Virgo New Moon 2016 - What's that stuff in your schedule?
- Virgo New Moon 2017: Skills Needed! Please Apply
- Virgo New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Virgo New Moon--Details Rule
- Watch out! Here comes Saturn - By Tracy Cook
- What To Do This Taurus New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Who am I? My Sun or My Moon? by Tracy Cook
- Who is in the Hot Seat by Tracy Cook
- You had me at Hello, Aquarius New Moon by Tracy Cook