New Moon Articles by Tracy
Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
Going backwards, sort of…
Retrograde means, “going backwards”. In astrology all planets retrograde except for the Sun and the Moon (which technically aren’t planets --but we’ll save that topic for another day) Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, etc, they all appear to move backwards. But usually it is Mercury that captures most of our attention. We use the word “appear” because if we could fly through space and land on Mercury or any of the other planets we would see that they don’t technically turn around and go backwards they only appear to go backwards because of Earth’s rotation. However, this appearance is very real, astrologically speaking, and usually retrogrades can cause some sort of mayhem.
Why do we care about Mercury?
Okay, if all planets retrograde why do we care so much about Mercury? Mercury is the fastest moving planet and when it goes backwards its own quickness adds to the mayhem. In contrast, when the slower moving planets retrograde they have more time to unwind and although they can cause mischief it just isn’t as messy. It is the difference one might experience on a super brisk day where wind knocks down wires and trees causes a whole bunch of headaches versus a day when a big tornado hits. Velocity is important and Mercury’s own speed adds to the chaos. Additionally, Mercury is the planet of communication. It is the planet that rules how we talk, how we write, how we give information and how we receive it. It is also the planet of small journeys and it is the planet of how we think. Pretty important stuff, right? So, if the planet that rules communication and thinking is going backwards, you can imagine why things can go haywire quickly.
How often are there Mercury Retrogrades?
Usually there are about three retrogrades a year and their influence is for several weeks each.
What happens during the retrograde?
Traditionally this is a time when letters get lost, computers crash, cars break down, the need for big household purchases can occur, although it would be nice if you can delay it until after the retrograde. It is when an off-handed comment to a friend or family member causes a big ol’ uproar totally confusing everyone. A little comment like, “Are you going to eat that cookie?” could cause World War Three during a retrograde. People’s sensitive sides are on steroids during a retrograde and even the simplest of comments sting to the heart. Remember Mercury rules thinking and people just get weird during Mercury retrogrades.
Specifically, the tone of the retrograde will be determined by the sign that Mercury is in. For example, Mercury retrograde in Aries with its fiery nature and short fuse is completely different than a Mercury Retrograde in a stubborn and fixed sign like Taurus. While the Mercury retrograde in Aries means lots of fights and slammed doors or phones, a Mercury retrograde in Taurus can feel like a constant money blood letting with one items after another breaking down.
Advice during a retrograde?
Listen, you are going to piss someone off during a retrograde, or you are going to get pissed off during a retrograde, there usually is no escaping it. But what you can do is learn something during the retrograde. How did you piss off the person? Or why did you get ticked off? Did you say something you have been wanting to say for awhile but now you had the guts? Or did someone finally have enough of you? Okay, all is fair in love and war and retrogrades. But perhaps next time you won’t wait so long to make the changes that you should have made a lot earlier. Or maybe you can also manage your tongue and learn a thing or two about finesse. Shakespeare may have said the world is a stage and we are just mere players…but for goodness sake, “It’s in the delivery!” And also, what about those things that go and break during a mercury retrograde. The car that breaks down has usually been in need of a repair for a long time but has been put off. Now, during a retrograde the buck stops and you have to do the fix. This is also great time to retire old ideas that no longer work or serve. It is a great time to call old friends whom you have not spoken to in years. Finally deal with some of the paperwork that has been in need of your attention. Sometimes you have to sign important papers during a retrograde but if it comes back to need more work after the retrograde you can just blame silly Mercury. Stuff happens.
How long is the influence of the retrograde?
The best way to understand the influence is by setting up a visual.
Imagine Mercury is a car and this car is leaving Seattle and heading for NYC. So, the car leaves Seattle and heads East… this is called MERCURY DIRECT. The car continues on its trip and it goes by Chicago continues on the road but as it gets close to Indianapolis it starts to slow down…and just as it hits Indianapolis it stops and turns around. The Slow down is called MERCURY STATION and the Turn around of course is called MERCURY RETROGRADE. Now the retrograde car is heading west again and heading back to Chicago. When it finally gets back to Chicago it slows down and turns around and now heads east again returning back on its journey to NYC this is MERCURY DIRECT. The car will continue on its journey and this time when it goes by Indianapolis it doesn’t stop it just continues on its merry way to NYC.
What is significant is that the road between Chicago and Indianapolis will be seen once, then twice (going backwards) and then a third time (when it goes direct again). This road between Chicago and Indianapolis is the SHADOW PERIOD. This means the very first time we see Chicago we are put on alert that there is a Retrograde ahead and so be prepared we may see this landscape again.
To continue the analogy.. On May 12th we drove by Chicago. We will be turning retrograde on May 19 (reaching Indianapolis) and then going all the way back to Chicago until June 19th where it will turn around and head again for Indianapolis and finally passing it on July 4th. As you can see from shadow point (May 12th) to shadow point (July 4th) is about 2 months. That doesn’t mean it will be all rocky during that time. No, not at all. The rockiest times will probably be during the actual retrograde (May 19th – June 19th) but we will most likely revisit topics that come up in the time between the two month shadow dates.
In 2008 there are 3 Retrogrades.
Jan 28 - Mercury R in Aquarius
May 19-Mercury R in Gemini
Sept 24 Mercury R in Libra
As you can see all of these retrogrades are in the 3 air signs which means THINKING will be big. People will be processing thoughts that either work for them or maybe it is time to let go of some of their patterns. How we think about things, how we mentally process things will be completely retooled in 2008. Our thinking needs a big wire brush to scour off the corrosion.
ARe you the brush or are you the corrosion?
For more information on each retrograde please read the New Moon Charts.
Astro Answers by Tracy
- 09-27-2007 Watch out! Here comes Saturn - By Tracy Cook
- 08-30-2007 Saturn in Virgo---Times up! by Tracy Cook
- 08-02-2007 Astro Thumbs Up: Void of Course Moons by Tracy Cook
- 07-21-2007 AstroThumbs Up: Guadalupe Virgin of The Americas by Tracy Cook
- 07-20-2007 Who am I? My Sun or My Moon? by Tracy Cook
- 06-10-2007 Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
- 05-20-2007 Who is in the Hot Seat by Tracy Cook
- 05-01-2007 Astro Coming Attraction by Tracy Cook
New Moon Articles by Tracy
- 2014: Sag New Moon --Change that perspective-NOW!
- 2nd Aquarius New Moon: 2015
- And now it is the Second Cancer New Moon!
- Aqaurius New Moon 2011--The New Quilting BEE!
- Aquarius New Moon 2010! It is a strange trip
- Aquarius New Moon 2012!
- Aquarius New Moon 2014 - You LikeMind me.
- Aquarius New Moon 2015 - The Zero One
- Aquarius New Moon 2016: Get Your Tribe On
- Aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of the chaos we find our Peeps.
- aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of the chaos we find our Peeps.
- Aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of The Chaos We Find our Peeps!!
- Aquarius New Moon--Unique Solutions if you are willing
- Aries New Moon - It will be a great Treasure Map time!
- Aries New Moon 2009---IT’S A BIG ONE!
- Aries New Moon 2010--Let's get this party started!
- Aries New Moon 2012: You rule!
- Aries New Moon 2014 Get out of the way! Your Life is Coming
- Aries New Moon 2016: Light this rocket!
- Aries New Moon 2017
- Aries New Moon! (2008) by Tracy Cook
- Aries New Moon, 2011- Yes it is a big one!
- Astro Coming Attraction by Tracy Cook
- Astro Thumbs Up: Void of Course Moons by Tracy Cook
- AstroThumbs Up: Guadalupe Virgin of The Americas by Tracy Cook
- Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon & The Grand Cross
- Cancer New Moon --The Great Healing by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon 2010---Your feelings have answers
- Cancer New Moon 2012 - "It's the flow, Baby!"
- Cancer New Moon 2014: REFRESH!
- Cancer New Moon 2016: Let It Flow
- Cancer New Moon--The first of two (2009)
- Cancer New Moon-Ready, Set, Emote! July, 14th 2007 by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon: 2013
- Cancer New Moon: Don't make me go find your roots...you do it!
- Capricorn 2010 NEW MOON--Taking Care of Business!
- Capricorn 2011-Aim your ambition-NOW
- Capricorn New Moon - Get Serious!
- Capricorn New Moon 2011 -Be the authority and move up!
- Capricorn New Moon 2013: Pragmatic and no excuses
- Capricorn New Moon 2014
- Capricorn NEW MOON 2016 ...Get Real!
- Capricorn New Moon: Slow and sensible is a-okay.
- Clean your Slate Capricorn New Moon! by Tracy Cook
- Dreaming on Pisces New Moon by Tracy Cook
- GEMINI NEW MOON 2011 –“Can someone turn on the air, please?”
- Gemini New Moon (2012)- Second time's the charm
- Gemini New Moon 2009---The Fast and Furious Talker
- Gemini New Moon 2010: A Tornado among us!
- Gemini New Moon 2013
- Gemini New Moon 2014: The power of light feet
- Gemini New Moon 2014: The power of light feet
- Gemini New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Gemini New Moon-- Reach out! Mix it Up!
- Gemini New Moon--the first round- 2012
- Gemini New Moon. Mental Exercises 2015
- Gemini New Moon. Mental Exercises 2015
- Gemini New Moon: Question and Shift
- Gemini- New Moon 2008-- Ready to Connect! by Tracy Cook
- Get out of the way---LEO NEW MOON is HERE!
- Get your Viking on--Aries New Moon 2013
- It is all a balancing act, Baby! Libra new moon 2008
- LEO 2008 New Moon--Sunny side of the street by Tracy Cook
- Leo New Moon - To be bold or not to be bold? That is the question
- Leo New Moon 2011--Your passion tells you so
- Leo New Moon 2012--The Heart Wants To Thrive
- Leo New Moon 2013: Be Big. Be Very Big
- Leo New Moon 2015: Learn from the Lion!
- LEO NEW MOON 2016: Dare to find Joy & Strength
- Leo's in the House..Roar! Sort of.. by Tracy Cook
- Libra New Moon (2007) by Tracy Cook
- Libra New Moon -How do you relate? Does it serve you?
- Libra New Moon 2009--The business of relating
- Libra New Moon 2012-
- Libra New Moon 2013 -- Balance That!
- Libra New Moon 2014: Let's really get our Libra on this time
- Libra New Moon 2015: Get your relationships straightened out
- Libra New Moon 2016: The Power of Negotiation
- New Moon in Aquarius 2013 Pull out your lightening rod-hits are coming
- New Moon in Virgo--Now you can fix your life
- New Moon Leo 2010--Wish upon a star--"Hey, that's me!"
- Pisces New Moon 2010--The LEAP of FAITH
- Pisces New Moon 2012: What is Dissolving?
- Pisces New Moon 2013 -Get in the flow
- Pisces New Moon 2014: Go for the Flow
- Pisces New Moon 2015
- Pisces New Moon 2016: Karma and Elevation
- Pisces New Moon 2017 -- The Big Release and Melt
- Pisces New Moon---Mystics Apply
- Pisces New Moon--Dive or wash up on shore, it is your choice!
- RESPOND TO RESPONSIBILTY-CAPRICORN NEW MOON 2008
- Sag New Moon 2010-- Ready, Aim---Change!
- Sag New Moon 2012 - A time to get real
- Sag New Moon---All Vision without the Hype!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2009--Ready, Aim, Adjust...Fire, Adjust, Aim, Ready..
- Sagittarius New Moon 2013 - Forward Ho!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2015: The Adventure!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2016: Get Wise Get Inspired
- Sagittarius New Moon--Mother Knows Best
- Saturn in Virgo---Times up! by Tracy Cook
- Scorpio New MOON 2009-Resources and Community--Where do I fit?
- Scorpio New Moon 2010-Jump in the water!
- Scorpio New moon 2012: Suit up and Commit
- Scorpio New Moon 2015
- Scorpio New Moon 2016: Release the death grip
- Scorpio NEW MOON by Tracy Cook
- Scorpio New Moon Solar Eclipse SHED! SHED!SHED!
- Scorpio New Moon(2011)--DNA, Survival and ditching Garbage
- Scorpio New Moon: Solar Eclipse 2014
- scorpio New Moon: Solar Eclipse 2015
- SURE RELATIONSHIPS BITE--BUT WE'RE ALL HUNGRY. Libra New Moon 2010
- Taurus New Moon 2010-----And so we begin.......
- Taurus New Moon 2011--Build upon it!
- TAURUS NEW MOON 2012 --What do you value?
- Taurus New Moon 2017: Practicality for a Personal Revolution
- Taurus New Moon Eclipse: Yes you can make the changes!
- Taurus New Moon. Getting Practical ..Seriously, for real
- Taurus New Moon: Take the short route between A&B
- Taurus to the RESCUE!
- TaurusNewMoon 2014--Building Good bit by bit
- The Sea has changed---SCORPIO NEW MOON 2008
- There she blows!!! SAG NEW MOON is HERE! by Tracy Cook
- Tick Tock Virgo New Moon Strikes the Clock....2008
- Treasure Mapping by Tracy Cook
- Virgo New Moon - Your daily life is YOU. How is it going?
- VIRGO NEW MOON --GET YOUR MICRO ON!
- Virgo New Moon 2011- Help & Work serve you!
- Virgo New Moon 2012: Sweating the Small Stuff
- Virgo New Moon 2013: A Big Opportunity
- Virgo New Moon 2016 - What's that stuff in your schedule?
- Virgo New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Virgo New Moon--Details Rule
- Watch out! Here comes Saturn - By Tracy Cook
- What To Do This Taurus New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Who am I? My Sun or My Moon? by Tracy Cook
- Who is in the Hot Seat by Tracy Cook
- You had me at Hello, Aquarius New Moon by Tracy Cook