New Moon Articles by Tracy
Capricorn New Moon: Slow and sensible is a-okay.
Capricorn NEW MOON 2016
By Tracy Cook
Many years ago I studied lunar phases with Robert Buz Myers. It is my hope that he would be proud of my work today. Blessings to you, Buz!
What is a New Moon?
A new moon is the beginning of a 29-day cycle. Technically, when you look up in the sky you only see a thin section of the moon illuminated.
And the not so technical point of view?
Well, similar to farmers and indigenous people, who have used the eight phases of the moon for eons, astrologers also utilize the different phases of the Moon. Certainly on the New we know it is time to plant seeds. But the other seven phases are equally important.
Where should my focus be during this next 29-day cycle?
When we draft a chart for the new moon we can get a sense of the energy that will be up for processing for the next 29 days.
Okay what is this cycle about? Can you find the practical path? Can you build something up? Can you also slow down? Good. Do it.
In A Sunlit Home Domesticated Birds Sing Joyously
Capricorn New Moon
December 29, 2016
1:53am EST (7Cap 59)
The launching of this Capricorn New Moon is interesting given it is near the very end of the year. The date of the New Moon, December 28/29 (depending on where you live) on its own is not special but at the end of the year we are reflective, pondering that which has passed, all the highs and lows. We consider actions that brought successes and we reflect on missed opportunities. Perhaps we feel a bit melancholy. But then with the New Moon we sense an incoming energy that speaks of fresh opportunity and the future. Looking back and going forward is a crosscurrent of competing energies which can muddy waters, luckily the planet of change, Uranus will be heading in a fresh direction a few hours after the launch of the New Moon thus sealing the deal that we must be focused on the future.
Speaking of the new calendar year. Many people will be inclined to come up with lists of things they want to accomplish since we are near January 1. But really what we should be doing is pulling out our Treasure Maps that we built last April and see how we are doing on our accomplishments. Capricorn New Moon is the last quarter of of our Treasure Maps cycle. Take out your map, give it a look and know that we still have three months for our maps to complete their journey. Do not be down trodden on anything that has not yet manifested. Instead do your part to boost the energy so you can build toward your goals.
This Capricorn New Moon chart has the Sun/Moon/Mercury huddled together between 6 and 8 degrees of Capricorn. Capricorn is the final earth sign of the zodiac and it is exactly what the doctor ordered after the final fire sign, Sagittarius has spewed all its merriment. Remember, Capricorn is the hard working goat on a mountain, climbing rocks to get higher and higher while conserving his energy as the air thins. For 29 days we will be best served to make practical choices. We will consider actions that elevate our position in our world. We will find ourselves pondering if something or perhaps someone is worth it. Whatever “it” is. During this cycle we may stop down and think, “Why am I doing this?” From higher up our mountain we consider where we are wasting energy and time since Saturn is the planet of time. But curiously, Saturn the precious time warrior can also understand slowing things down. Racing and doing something wrong is a much bigger waste than slowing down and prioritizing. Ironically this 29-day cycle is when we can slow down and yes, smell the winter roses.
Capricorn knows the importance of responsibility and commitments and is focused on ‘bettering’ its world. It is the sign of the CEO. We look inward to find our own inner CEO. We figure out how to gather energies or people to improve situations. Not just personally but also globally. Capricorn respects authority and hierarchies and understands how to work through systems. For 29 days we can look at our lives and our world and figure out a way to gather forces which best utilize any situation or opportunity. We can navigate complex situations by taking our time. When Capricorn is lame he can be too busy comparing his position to that of others. One on hand it can be highly competitive either feeling better than others and smug when standing next to someone who appears to have less. Or Capricorn’s insecurities can be riled up when they are near others who have accomplished much that they find themselves saying something snide just to knock the other person down a peg or two. They think they are calling it the way they see it but to the outside world they just look insecure. Luckily the misbehaving parts of Capricorn will not be up as much this 29-day cycle given its ruling planet, Saturn is in a harmonious sextile with Venus and with Jupiter. The sweetness of Venus and the abundance of Jupiter can help lessen negativity during this 29-day cycle. Plus Saturn is trine Uranus putting emphasis on important changes.
Pluto is in a wide conjunction with Sun/Moon and Mercury and is out in front at 17 degrees of Capricorn, that makes for a patina of transformation on the 29-day cycle. The need to improve our place in the world comes from a deep desire to survive.
Uranus stations direct on December 29 at 4:28am EST, this is three hours after New Moon launches. A planet making a major change of direction so close to the new moon adds an important influence to this cycle. Uranus in Aries speaks to finding independence. Uranus spends five months a year retrograde. In this case, Uranus turned retrograde on July 29 at 24 Aries and turns direct at 20 degrees Aries. The last time Uranus was retrograde at these degrees of Aries was July 1932 (23 Aries) until December 1932 (20 degrees). You do not need to be a Rhodes scholar to get that there are shades of 1932 popping up in our politics and rhetoric this cycle. Here’s a link for you to read. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1932
Going forward Saturn in Sag will be making a trine with Uranus on May 19th and November 11, which is helpful for 2017. There is an emphasis on concrete changes that build up good. Change for airy fairy reasons is not appealing. But making concrete plans (Saturn) that lift spirit (Sag) and build new opportunities (Uranus in Aries) will be highlighted in 2017. A window to the 2017 Saturn Uranus aspects will be this 29-day Capricorn cycle since Saturn trine Uranus in the chart (exact 12/24). Watch and see what opportunities pop up during this period that need a little focus and commitment by you to bring important changes. These changes may come up again for you to process in May and November of 2017.
Mercury Retro & Direct
Mercury’s conjunction with the Sun and Moon is not as sharp and clear as with other New Moon charts, given Mercury is retrograde. Yes, he is in Capricorn and wants to think about practicality and being business-like as much as possible but given he will be spending the first 11 days of the 29 day cycle going backwards suggests we could have great ideas but still be confused on how to accomplish goals. That’s okay since we know it is better to take things slow. After January 8, Mercury will turn direct in fiery Sag and then press forward with new enthusiasm. Ideally Mercury turning direct in the sober Capricorn lunar cycle will put the emphasis on productive thoughts and hard working solutions. It is a nice place to come up for air for Mercury direct.
Note how much has your thinking and processing has changed and will change by the end of the shadow periods.
On December 1 Mercury moves into its shadow period (28 Sag 50)
On December 19 5:55am (15 Cap 07) Mercury stations retrograde
On January 8 4:43am Mercury stations direct (28 Sag 50 Sag)
On January 28 Mercury exits shadow (15 Cap 07)
This Capricorn New Moon chart is not rife with a ton of troubles. I would say it is more positive than negative. But it is impossible to overstate the importance of responsibility. We will see things that are right and see things that are wrong. We will need to figure out the best solution and stick to it. That is our responsibility. But remember don’t rush. Take your time and celebrate the ordinariness of each day.
See you in Aquarius.
Have you friended TracyAstroSalon on FB? Why not?
The 8 phases
Capricorn New Moon
December 29, 2016
New moon: Plant seeds, make calls, activate, start projects. Activate something that will ideally lead you to more. This is the phase where INTENT is critical. Even if the results are not immediate, the intent is there. You may not have all the answers or road map but you should put out your Intent.
This focus: Where do you need to be productive? Where do you need to find your inner CEO? What do you need to fire in your life? What do you need to hire in your life? Where do you need to slow down? What is worth your energy? Where or who are you losing valuable energy?
12/29: 4:28am Uranus Turns direct (see above)
12/30: Sun sextile Neptune: Inspired and intuitive moments prevail. Practicality faithfulness.
12/31: Mars/Neptune. Actions based on faith and spirit. Divine actions.
Crescent Moon Phase
January 1, 2017
Crescent: We will receive information, we will research a bit more, perhaps get feedback on stuff that we planted on new. Perhaps get some information that will help down the road on a seed we planted a while ago. We can collect some data now. Even if you think you are not getting information, stop, and re-look at everything. Who called you? Even the silliest things, when they come up during Crescent are note worthy. A parking ticket? An argument with a spouse? A refund check from the phone company? All of it needs to be considered a message from the universe. How can this information help you?
Focus on: What are you learning about your like minded peers? What are you learning about goals? What are you learning about breaking out? What are you learning about rebellion?
1- 2: Venus enters Pisces
1-4: Mercury enters Sag (second time)
1-4: Venus semisquare Pluto. Love and Money feel under appreciated. Values changing.
First Quarter Moon
First quarter: We do more actions based on the information that we just received. Or we feel our instincts guide us on something. We pursue again. We make another call or we see someone. We mail something. We stir the pot again. This can be a time when we realize that the goals we planted on New need more action from us, perhaps actions that involve breaking away. Are there people who say they have our best interest in heart but fear us growing away from them? Maybe we need to get help from others not the usual suspects. Some independence may need to be exerted.
Focus on: What actions can you take that speak to independence? What actions can you take that have you fired up? What actions can you take make you feel like a warrior? What actions can you take speak to breaking out?
1-7: Sun/Pluto What transformations need to be made that strengthen your executive skills? Accessing empowerment and making changes in your public world.
1-8: Mercury station direct 4:42am (EST) Phew! (see above)
1-8: Venus semisquare Uranus. Changes and maybe losses around love and values. Independence costs a price.
January 8, 2017
We refine our information. We pick and choose, we discriminate, and we organize to be ‘Virgo’ like. We sort through details. Have we missed something? How are we sifting through the information? Go back and make sure something hasn’t been neglected. Refine our actions.
What needs to be refined about your communication? What needs to be refined about your thinking? What are you neglecting about your ability to reason?
1-10: Sun sq Uranus. Accent on changes and shake ups. Motivated to be more independent even if it costs.
1-11: Sun sq Jupiter. Where is co-dependence costing a lot? Where are you negotiating? Where do you need to create a better ‘contract’?
Full Moon Phase
January 12, 2017
22 Cancer 27
Full Moon: We make the needed adjustments on the things we planted. Usually emotions are up and running and for those people who perhaps did not utilize the new moon and the rest of the waxing moon, this is when emotions can get the better of us. There can often be a big emotional break, for no other reason than to get back on track. Some partnership will offer up some balance. The moon is bright and full and there is no room for shadows, what is reflecting on you?
Focus on: Full Moon in Cancer. How is family speaking to you? How are your roots serving you? How are emotions moving you? How is your home like working for you? How do you balance home, family, emotions against your responsibilities to the world?
Go to blog for full moon report.
1/12: Mercury re-enters Capricorn. Phew let’s get back to practical thinking.
1/12: Venus conjunct Neptune: Faith and spirit inspire love, gentleness, values. Money may get fuzzy. Or humanitarian needs are called upon.
January 15, 2017
Disseminating: Share information; find a teacher or someone who has more knowledge. Perhaps there was a big ol’ blow out on the full and one feels in need of support and help, this is the phase to reach out to one who knows more. This is when we find a rabbi or a minister or therapist who gives us more insight. And of course, you too may be ready to teach and share your own information.
Focus on: How are you sharing organizational skills? How are you sharing your ability to focus on details? How are you sharing skills that serve others? How are you a good servant?
1/19: Mars Sq Saturn. Hard work feels tough. Burdens need focus and discipline. Tasks are up to be tackled.
1/19 Sun enters Aquarius
Last Quarter Moon Phase
January 19, 2017
Last Quarter moon: Now we do the final adjustments to the seeds we planted on new. The final call, the final letters to send, we follow all the trails that came up that still make sense. And we let the other parts lay fallow. It is a time of action but wise action. It is a time for living “The serenity prayer”
grant me the Serenity
to accept the things
I cannot change Courage to change the
things I can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference.
What actions are you taking that jettison old behaviors? What actions can you take that support transformation? What are you be asked to let go and release? What is being born on the other side of ‘letting go’?
Balsamic Moon Phase
January 23, 2017
Balsamic: We let go. By releasing we can prepare for the new.
Focus on We release our need to be judgmental? Where do you need to release your opinions? Where do you need to release your righteousness?
1/27: Venus sq Neptune: Illusions vs inspired. Finding the difference. What is not being valued? Why?
Aquarius New Moon January 27 7:06pm (8 Aquarius 15)
Astro Answers by Tracy
- 09-27-2007 Watch out! Here comes Saturn - By Tracy Cook
- 08-30-2007 Saturn in Virgo---Times up! by Tracy Cook
- 08-02-2007 Astro Thumbs Up: Void of Course Moons by Tracy Cook
- 07-21-2007 AstroThumbs Up: Guadalupe Virgin of The Americas by Tracy Cook
- 07-20-2007 Who am I? My Sun or My Moon? by Tracy Cook
- 06-10-2007 Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
- 05-20-2007 Who is in the Hot Seat by Tracy Cook
- 05-01-2007 Astro Coming Attraction by Tracy Cook
New Moon Articles by Tracy
- 2014: Sag New Moon --Change that perspective-NOW!
- 2nd Aquarius New Moon: 2015
- And now it is the Second Cancer New Moon!
- Aqaurius New Moon 2011--The New Quilting BEE!
- Aquarius New Moon 2010! It is a strange trip
- Aquarius New Moon 2012!
- Aquarius New Moon 2014 - You LikeMind me.
- Aquarius New Moon 2015 - The Zero One
- Aquarius New Moon 2016: Get Your Tribe On
- Aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of the chaos we find our Peeps.
- aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of the chaos we find our Peeps.
- Aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of The Chaos We Find our Peeps!!
- Aquarius New Moon--Unique Solutions if you are willing
- Aries New Moon - It will be a great Treasure Map time!
- Aries New Moon 2009---IT’S A BIG ONE!
- Aries New Moon 2010--Let's get this party started!
- Aries New Moon 2012: You rule!
- Aries New Moon 2014 Get out of the way! Your Life is Coming
- Aries New Moon 2016: Light this rocket!
- Aries New Moon 2017
- Aries New Moon! (2008) by Tracy Cook
- Aries New Moon, 2011- Yes it is a big one!
- Astro Coming Attraction by Tracy Cook
- Astro Thumbs Up: Void of Course Moons by Tracy Cook
- AstroThumbs Up: Guadalupe Virgin of The Americas by Tracy Cook
- Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon & The Grand Cross
- Cancer New Moon --The Great Healing by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon 2010---Your feelings have answers
- Cancer New Moon 2012 - "It's the flow, Baby!"
- Cancer New Moon 2014: REFRESH!
- Cancer New Moon 2016: Let It Flow
- Cancer New Moon 2017: Are your emotions flowing? Good.
- Cancer New Moon--The first of two (2009)
- Cancer New Moon-Ready, Set, Emote! July, 14th 2007 by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon: 2013
- Cancer New Moon: Don't make me go find your roots...you do it!
- Capricorn 2010 NEW MOON--Taking Care of Business!
- Capricorn 2011-Aim your ambition-NOW
- Capricorn New Moon - Get Serious!
- Capricorn New Moon 2011 -Be the authority and move up!
- Capricorn New Moon 2013: Pragmatic and no excuses
- Capricorn New Moon 2014
- Capricorn NEW MOON 2016 ...Get Real!
- Capricorn New Moon: Slow and sensible is a-okay.
- Clean your Slate Capricorn New Moon! by Tracy Cook
- Dreaming on Pisces New Moon by Tracy Cook
- GEMINI NEW MOON 2011 –“Can someone turn on the air, please?”
- Gemini New Moon (2012)- Second time's the charm
- Gemini New Moon 2009---The Fast and Furious Talker
- Gemini New Moon 2010: A Tornado among us!
- Gemini New Moon 2013
- Gemini New Moon 2014: The power of light feet
- Gemini New Moon 2014: The power of light feet
- Gemini New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Gemini New Moon-- Reach out! Mix it Up!
- Gemini New Moon--the first round- 2012
- Gemini New Moon. Mental Exercises 2015
- Gemini New Moon. Mental Exercises 2015
- Gemini New Moon: Question and Shift
- Gemini- New Moon 2008-- Ready to Connect! by Tracy Cook
- Get out of the way---LEO NEW MOON is HERE!
- Get your Viking on--Aries New Moon 2013
- It is all a balancing act, Baby! Libra new moon 2008
- LEO 2008 New Moon--Sunny side of the street by Tracy Cook
- Leo New Moon - Round two & Solar Eclipse 2017
- Leo New Moon - The First One! 2017
- Leo New Moon - The First One! 2017
- Leo New Moon - To be bold or not to be bold? That is the question
- Leo New Moon 2011--Your passion tells you so
- Leo New Moon 2012--The Heart Wants To Thrive
- Leo New Moon 2013: Be Big. Be Very Big
- Leo New Moon 2015: Learn from the Lion!
- LEO NEW MOON 2016: Dare to find Joy & Strength
- Leo's in the House..Roar! Sort of.. by Tracy Cook
- Libra New Moon (2007) by Tracy Cook
- Libra New Moon -How do you relate? Does it serve you?
- Libra New Moon 2009--The business of relating
- Libra New Moon 2012-
- Libra New Moon 2013 -- Balance That!
- Libra New Moon 2014: Let's really get our Libra on this time
- Libra New Moon 2015: Get your relationships straightened out
- Libra New Moon 2016: The Power of Negotiation
- New Moon in Aquarius 2013 Pull out your lightening rod-hits are coming
- New Moon in Virgo--Now you can fix your life
- New Moon Leo 2010--Wish upon a star--"Hey, that's me!"
- Pisces New Moon 2010--The LEAP of FAITH
- Pisces New Moon 2012: What is Dissolving?
- Pisces New Moon 2013 -Get in the flow
- Pisces New Moon 2014: Go for the Flow
- Pisces New Moon 2015
- Pisces New Moon 2016: Karma and Elevation
- Pisces New Moon 2017 -- The Big Release and Melt
- Pisces New Moon---Mystics Apply
- Pisces New Moon--Dive or wash up on shore, it is your choice!
- RESPOND TO RESPONSIBILTY-CAPRICORN NEW MOON 2008
- Sag New Moon 2010-- Ready, Aim---Change!
- Sag New Moon 2012 - A time to get real
- Sag New Moon---All Vision without the Hype!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2009--Ready, Aim, Adjust...Fire, Adjust, Aim, Ready..
- Sagittarius New Moon 2013 - Forward Ho!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2015: The Adventure!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2016: Get Wise Get Inspired
- Sagittarius New Moon--Mother Knows Best
- Saturn in Virgo---Times up! by Tracy Cook
- Scorpio New MOON 2009-Resources and Community--Where do I fit?
- Scorpio New Moon 2010-Jump in the water!
- Scorpio New moon 2012: Suit up and Commit
- Scorpio New Moon 2015
- Scorpio New Moon 2016: Release the death grip
- Scorpio NEW MOON by Tracy Cook
- Scorpio New Moon Solar Eclipse SHED! SHED!SHED!
- Scorpio New Moon(2011)--DNA, Survival and ditching Garbage
- Scorpio New Moon: Solar Eclipse 2014
- scorpio New Moon: Solar Eclipse 2015
- SURE RELATIONSHIPS BITE--BUT WE'RE ALL HUNGRY. Libra New Moon 2010
- Taurus New Moon 2010-----And so we begin.......
- Taurus New Moon 2011--Build upon it!
- TAURUS NEW MOON 2012 --What do you value?
- Taurus New Moon 2017: Practicality for a Personal Revolution
- Taurus New Moon Eclipse: Yes you can make the changes!
- Taurus New Moon. Getting Practical ..Seriously, for real
- Taurus New Moon: Take the short route between A&B
- Taurus to the RESCUE!
- TaurusNewMoon 2014--Building Good bit by bit
- The Sea has changed---SCORPIO NEW MOON 2008
- There she blows!!! SAG NEW MOON is HERE! by Tracy Cook
- Tick Tock Virgo New Moon Strikes the Clock....2008
- Treasure Mapping by Tracy Cook
- Virgo New Moon - Your daily life is YOU. How is it going?
- VIRGO NEW MOON --GET YOUR MICRO ON!
- Virgo New Moon 2011- Help & Work serve you!
- Virgo New Moon 2012: Sweating the Small Stuff
- Virgo New Moon 2013: A Big Opportunity
- Virgo New Moon 2016 - What's that stuff in your schedule?
- Virgo New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Virgo New Moon--Details Rule
- Watch out! Here comes Saturn - By Tracy Cook
- What To Do This Taurus New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Who am I? My Sun or My Moon? by Tracy Cook
- Who is in the Hot Seat by Tracy Cook
- You had me at Hello, Aquarius New Moon by Tracy Cook