New Moon Articles by Tracy
Sag New Moon 2012 - A time to get real
Sagittarius NEW MOON 2012
By Tracy Cook
Many years ago I studied lunar phases with Robert Buz Myers. It is my hope that he would be proud of my work today. Blessings to you, Buz!
What is a New Moon?
A new moon is the beginning of a 28 day cycle. Technically, when you look up in the sky you only see a thin section of the moon illuminated.
And the not so technical point of view?
Well, similar to farmers and indigenous people, who have used the eight phases of the moon for eons, Astrologers also utilize the different phases of the Moon. Certainly on the New we know it is time to plant seeds. But the other seven phases are equally important.
Where should my focus be during this next 28-day cycle?
When we draft a chart for the new moon we can get a sense of the energy that will be up for processing for the next 28 days.
Okay what is this cycle about? Clear away the distractions. And the Bulls**t. Put your arrow in the sky and aim high. You deserve it.
SAG NEW MOON
New Moon Phase
3:41 am EST
21 Sag 45
22º Sagittarius (262): A CHINESE LAUNDRY.
SAG NEW MOON
Lots going on to with this Sag lunar cycle—ya, think? Google 12-21-12 & Mayans and you’ll know what I’m talking about.
Issue #1: Supermoon
First things first. This New Moon is another Supermoon (as was last month)
which means it is both perigree (close to earth) and sygzy (lines up with earth and moon) and according to Richard Nolle the astrologer who coined the term SuperMoons has determined that there are more earthquakes, volcanoes and other natural disasters around Supermoons. Curiously there was a 7.1 quake in Indonesia on 12/11…..anyway, you can read more at Richard Nolle’s website found here:
Issue #2: Maya how you spin
Apparently on 12/21/12 the Mayan calendar ends. And despite all the conversation out there in the fringe and not so fringe worlds, I want to tell you right now, we will all wake up on 12/22 and rip off the 12/21 page from our daily calendar—and yes the Maya may not have a 12/22/12 but I am confident on that morning, cute kittens, daily quotes, Dilbert cartoons or whatever is our daily calendar will be staring back at us. Great. And come on, in your soul you already knew that, right?
So, what is going on for us non mayans on December 21, 12?
Most school children know that 12/21 is the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere and summer solstice south of the equator. For those in the north it is the shortest day of the year, for those in the south, it is the longest day of the year. Interesting, the Maya lived in the area close to the equator and so the day and the nights about the same length. Anyway, on that day the Sun goes into Capricorn and the moon will be in Aries trine Mercury. Not a huge date of activity. Weird, all that noise for a kind of ho hum day.
But if we open up the window from Dec 19 to Dec 22 we get a few more significant astro notes. On the 19th Venus trine Uranus and Moon sextile Mars. Then on the 20th Moon Square Sun, conjunct Uranus, trine Venus. Along with Venus square Pluto, Moon quincunx Saturn, Moon sextile Jupiter and Jupiter quincunx Pluto --that is a lot. On the 22nd the Sun sextiles Neptune, Moon square Mars, Jupiter quincunx Saturn, Moon sextile Neptune and trine Sun. And Venus opposition Jupiter. Okay, that is a lot of energy. Probably of the group of all those aspects I would put the emphasis on Jupiter, Saturn & Pluto aspects (More on that later). Okay so that window of days has a lot of aspects but nothing that is going to end the world. Given it is the holiday season there will be a lot of pressure to please self, please others and please our calendars. Blech. And because some of the aspects are pretty snarky we may find ourselves in bitchy conversations and a hard spots. But heavens, nothing we can’t get through or rise above. Especially with Sag lunar cycle.
Sagittarius Lunar cycle
The Sagittarius energy is fiery but unlike the other two fire signs, Sag is the last fire sign and therefore not as hot or as full of flames. It can singe but not burn to the same degree as Aries or Leo. For Sag it is more about feeling impassioned and putting it towards a goal. The Sag symbol is a centaur (half man half horse) and in his arms (he has those too) is a bow and arrow aimed towards a target. Sag always needs a goal and a vision. During this cycle we need to find our vision. We need to get distance and look at our lives and more importantly look in our soul and look at all the choices we have taken and weigh them out. This is not a time to beat our selves up, for god sakes, it is Sag cycle not Virgo, but we need to access what is the truth that is beating inside of us that is not being realized.
I repeat: “What truth is inside of us that is not realized?” And more importantly, “What are we going to do about it?”
Sag’s ruling planet is Jupiter the biggest planet in our solar system. So, you know Sag likes things big. Yep, big booze, big food, big parties, big expenses. All of that is Jupiter. But also, Jupiter is the ‘bridge’ planet. He is the bridge between the inner planets (close to sun) and the outer planets. The inner planets speak to you and me personally. The outer planets reflect on all of us as societies and as mankind. The bridge between them is Jupiter. Imagine the person whose whole world is determined by their neighborhood, their family, their personal strength, and the things they own. Now imagine the person who stretches and gets a new education, a larger group of friends, a career out of the family or out from the community. The person who goes and sees the world. That is Jupiter. That is the bridge. And what happens if people are not stretching, not bridging to other worlds? Well, then the other yucky side of Sag shows up, religious zealots, opinionated bigots, judgmental hypocrites and major exaggerators. Desperately cut off from the expansive side, the shut down Sag wants to rule the world with their opinions. Like I said, “yuck.”
Watch and see what comes up this cycle that shows people stretching and morphing. You will also see others paint themselves into desperate corners because of their unwillingness to expand.
And this Sag chart?
Interestingly the actual chart for this New Moon is not rife with troublesome aspects. The Sun and the moon are in semi square with Saturn which puts emphasis on getting practical about our goals and targets. We will be enthused and have goals which Sag supports however they will be born from things that feel ‘off’. Nothing hideous, more like putting on a pair of tight jeans and realizing it is time to under eat.
So, we have a new moon chart without a ton of aspects but a few hours after the new moon Uranus who has been retrograde since July 13 turns direct. As I have mentioned many times in these articles, Uranus will turn retrograde and direct once every year. Not a big deal. But when it does it, is worth noting. In this case we are having it turn direct within a few hours after the Sag new moon. Again, Sag new moon is where we put our arrows in the sky then aim and shoot. Uranus is the planet of monumental change. Uranus is not the sign of the status quo (that would be Saturn). When Uranus comes into a room he shakes everything up. Suddenly grandma’s rug is out of the living room and rolled up in the garage, the kitchen goes from beige yellow to bright green and out goes the treadmill and in comes the yoga mat. Like I said, Uranus shakes things up. So, now given Uranus the planet of change turns direct in Aries within a few hours of Sag –do you think Uranus is getting our attention? Do you think he wants us to find new approaches, new goals, new breakthroughs? Yep, me too. And if you think you know what needs to be your goals you may be surprised. In fact seriously, prepare yourself to be surprised if during these 28 days you find yourself with a new drive towards something you never considered.
I don’t want to clog you up too much with astro talk but let’s go back to the aspects going on between the 19th and 22 particularly Jupiter quincunx Pluto and Jupiter quincunx Saturn. Then on the 26th Saturn will sextile Pluto. As these three planets get into alignment they will form what is called a Yod with Jupiter being the focal point. Again, Jupiter is the bridge planet and he rules Sag. How curious that on this Sag cycle we have a YOD with Jupiter as the trigger planet. A yod is called a Finger of God. Or Finger of Fate. You can read more about YODs here:
But what is most important for you to know is that the serious business of bridging, changing and above all expanding is paramount this Sag cycle.
What do you need to bridge? Where do you need to be the bridge? Where do you need to expand? Why are these questions so important? Because they directly connect to your rebirth and transformation (Pluto) and they directly connect to your responsibilities and security (Saturn in Scorpio).
It is vital that you expand. And given Jupiter is in Gemini (Sag’s opposite sign) a lot of needs to change will come out of conversations. We will be light on our feet. We will be show dexterity. We can easily shift. Perhaps we will hear something and it will just activate us. Something different and clever will show up and it will call us. Novelty has a place and in this case it will inspire us.
Let’s go back to the Maya for a second. Part of this whole business with the Mayan calendar is the fact that the winter solstice and the end of their calendar takes place in the galactic center of the universe. This is where the Maya thought the center of Earth’s birth and coincidentally astronomers today do believe that it was where our sun was probably born. There are those who believe that there is a pulse coming from the Galactic center that still vibrates out and speaks to all us in our solar system. And perhaps us little humans are a wee bit more touched or aware of these messages than whatever is going on with the other planets. Will it be speaking to us during this cycle? How will it talk to us? And will we hear it? Or are we willing to hear the pulses?
Do you see a theme? Be light on our feet, be dexterous, check in with our gut find our center and shift our sights on new targets. Now is not the time to remain stuck.
There is a lot of subtlety this Sag lunar cycle. Which is amazing considering Sag is not particular subtle. But there will be switches going off with many of us that will point us in new directions. And given it is Sag I can actually say, “right” direction. Yep there is a right way and a wrong way to do much and now in this cycle where Uranus shakes us up and the Galatic Center is speaking to us and the Yod with Jupiter guides us, we are all being asked to stretch, grow and put ourselves out there to use common sense and go for stuff that is right and true and in our heart.
For those of us living a life that is half measure and full of excuses to stay small---well like the Maya Calendar, that life is over. If you insist on living small into this new world that we are clearly in, then you do it at your own peril. For the rest of us, we intend to be what we were put on Earth to be. We are not selling out and taking crumbs. Together we say, “Thank you, Spirit for letting me grow.”
The 8 phases
New Moon Phase
November 13, 2012
New moon: Plant seeds, make calls, activate, start projects. Activate something that will ideally lead you to more. This is the phase where INTENT is critical. Even if the results are not immediate, the intent is there. You may not have all the answers or road map but you should put out your Intent.
Focus: What are your goals? How are they morphing in front of you? Where do you need to stretch and be bigger? Why are you ignoring truth? Did you know excuses will become harder and harder to maintain?
12/13 Uranus stations direct 4 Aries 37 7:02am (see above)
12/14 Mercury/ Uranus: creativity, sharp thoughts, inspired, mental breakthroughs
12/15 Venus Sagittarius
Crescent Moon Phase
December 16 9:33am EST
Crescent: We will receive information, we will research a bit more, perhaps get feedback on stuff that we planted on new. Perhaps get some information that will help down the road on a seed we planted a while ago. We can collect some data now. Even if you think you are not getting information, stop, and re-look at everything. Who called you? Even the silliest things, when they come up during Crescent are note worthy. A parking ticket? An argument with a spouse? A refund check from the phone company? All of it needs to be considered a message from the universe. How can this information help you?
Focus on: What information are you receiving that speaks to the company you keep? Who is your tribe? Who do you hang with and how to they support your god given talents? What about your drives and goals are you with people who get them and get you? Why or why not?
12/16: Venus Neptune: Money and love cockeyed. Where trust dissolves faith must replace.
12/17: Mercury/Jupiter: big mouths bug. The brain is pushed by huge ideas and concepts. Maybe too big.
12/19: Venus/Uranus: Breakthroughs, bonuses from out of the blue, creativity is high.
First Quarter Moon
December 20 12:19
First quarter: We do more actions based on the information that we just received. Or we feel our instincts guide us on something. We pursue again. We make another call or we see someone. We mail something. We stir the pot again. This can be a time when we realize that the goals we planted on New need more action from us, perhaps actions that involve breaking away. Are there people who say they have our best interest in heart but fear us growing away from them? Maybe we need to get help from others not the usual suspects. Some independence may need to be exerted.
Focus on: What actions are you taking that speak to your spirituality? Where are you finding prayer? How are you incorporating spiritual endeavors and how do they support your far ranging goals?
12/21 Sun in Capricorn god, give them a practical gift. Seriously only a gift card they will really use.
12/22: Sun/Neptune: Inspiration, sincerity, gentleness, good natured abounds
12/22: Venus / Jupiter : Watch the money. Don’t go overboard with cash or love or food.
December 24 1:29am
We refine our information. We pick and choose, we discriminate, we organize to be ‘Virgo’ like. We sort through details. Have we missed something? How are we sifting through the information? Go back and make sure something hasn’t been neglected. Refine our actions.
What are you shifting through that speaks to your practical nature? What hard work can you do now that support your bigger goals? How can you build upon something important bit by bit?
12/25 Mars in Aquarius http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/marsinsigns_pg2.html
12/25: Sun/Uranus: The need to conform versus the need to breakout generates tremendous tension.
12/26: Saturn/Pluto rebirth and rebuilding. Commitment to a new beginning.
Full Moon Phase/ Lunar Eclipse
December 28 5:21 EST
7 cancer 6
Full Moon: We make the needed adjustments on the things we planted. Usually emotions are up and running and for those people who perhaps did not utilize the new moon and the rest of the waxing moon, this is when emotions can get the better of us. There can often be a big emotional break, for no other reason than to get back on track. Some partnership will offer up some balance. The moon is bright and full and there is no room for shadows, what is reflecting on you?
Focus on: Emotions are strong and big. With Pluto on top of Full Moon and a square from Uranus…this is no small moon. It may be cranky enough to rile the ancient Maya. Ha! Our emotions will be pushed. Our families will push us to a new level. We reconsider what is our roots and we actually wonder if we can break them for a new ‘us.’
See my blog for more on full moon. http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/
12/30 Sun/Pluto : accent on overhauling
12/30: Sun/Saturn: Rebirth and rebuilding
12/31: Mercury enters Capricorn http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/mercuryinsigns_page2.html
12/31: Mars/Uranus: fun lively, actions for merriment. Creative energy.
1/1: Mercury/Neptune: Inspired, lively thoughts, gifted thoughts from the universe
January 1 2:09am
Disseminating Moon Phase
Disseminating: Share information; find a teacher or someone who has more knowledge. Perhaps there was a big ol’ blow out on the full and one feels in need of support and help, this is the phase to reach out to one who knows more. This is when we find a rabbi or a minister or therapist who gives us more insight. And of course, you too may be ready to teach and share your own information.
Focus on: Share with others issues of pride? What gives you pride? What gives others pride? Are there common themes? Where are you receiving information that strengthens your resolve to reach your goals?
1/3: Mercury/Uranus: Rough language, tough thoughts, stormy brains, tension
1 4: Mars/Jupiter: Actions based on faith and philosophy. Stretching and building bridges.
Last Quarter Moon Phase
January 4, 10:58a EST
Last Quarter moon: Now we do the final adjustments to the seeds we planted on new. The final call, the final letters to send, we follow all the trails that came up that still make sense. And we let the other parts lay fallow. It is a time of action but wise action. It is a time for living “The serenity prayer”
grant me the Serenity
to accept the things
I cannot change Courage to change the
things I can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference.
Focus on: What actions do you need to take that support your goals but also engage your partners? How do you find balance when you are pursuing your goals. What bridges do you need to cross but you simply realize you need someone to help you get their—who is the ambassador who can take you where you need to go?
1/6: Mercury/Pluto: Highly effective communication. A bit cold and very calculated but effective.
1/7 Mars/Saturn: Roadblocks, energy feels thwarted. Don’t push. Put your energy elsewhere.
1/8: Venus in Capricorn http://astrology.about.com/od/venus/p/VenusCap.htm
Balsamic Moon Phase
January 8, 6:51a EST
Balsamic: We let go. By releasing we can prepare for the new.
Focus on Where are you too much of a zealot? How can you release it? Why are you so gung ho to tell the truth? Let it go. There are times when truth is overrated. We release the need to get in people’s faces so we elevate for Capricorn new moon.
1/10: Venus/Neptune: Money, love & creativity are lively with sparks.
CAPRICORN NEW MOON JANUARY 11 , 2:44am EST
Astro Answers by Tracy
- 09-27-2007 Watch out! Here comes Saturn - By Tracy Cook
- 08-30-2007 Saturn in Virgo---Times up! by Tracy Cook
- 08-02-2007 Astro Thumbs Up: Void of Course Moons by Tracy Cook
- 07-21-2007 AstroThumbs Up: Guadalupe Virgin of The Americas by Tracy Cook
- 07-20-2007 Who am I? My Sun or My Moon? by Tracy Cook
- 06-10-2007 Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
- 05-20-2007 Who is in the Hot Seat by Tracy Cook
- 05-01-2007 Astro Coming Attraction by Tracy Cook
New Moon Articles by Tracy
- 2014: Sag New Moon --Change that perspective-NOW!
- 2nd Aquarius New Moon: 2015
- And now it is the Second Cancer New Moon!
- Aqaurius New Moon 2011--The New Quilting BEE!
- Aquarius New Moon 2010! It is a strange trip
- Aquarius New Moon 2012!
- Aquarius New Moon 2014 - You LikeMind me.
- Aquarius New Moon 2015 - The Zero One
- Aquarius New Moon 2016: Get Your Tribe On
- Aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of the chaos we find our Peeps.
- aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of the chaos we find our Peeps.
- Aquarius New Moon 2017: Out of The Chaos We Find our Peeps!!
- Aquarius New Moon--Unique Solutions if you are willing
- Aries New Moon - It will be a great Treasure Map time!
- Aries New Moon 2009---IT’S A BIG ONE!
- Aries New Moon 2010--Let's get this party started!
- Aries New Moon 2012: You rule!
- Aries New Moon 2014 Get out of the way! Your Life is Coming
- Aries New Moon 2016: Light this rocket!
- Aries New Moon 2017
- Aries New Moon! (2008) by Tracy Cook
- Aries New Moon, 2011- Yes it is a big one!
- Astro Coming Attraction by Tracy Cook
- Astro Thumbs Up: Void of Course Moons by Tracy Cook
- AstroThumbs Up: Guadalupe Virgin of The Americas by Tracy Cook
- Can anyone explain Mercury Retrograde to me? by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon & The Grand Cross
- Cancer New Moon --The Great Healing by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon 2010---Your feelings have answers
- Cancer New Moon 2012 - "It's the flow, Baby!"
- Cancer New Moon 2014: REFRESH!
- Cancer New Moon 2016: Let It Flow
- Cancer New Moon 2017: Are your emotions flowing? Good.
- Cancer New Moon--The first of two (2009)
- Cancer New Moon-Ready, Set, Emote! July, 14th 2007 by Tracy Cook
- Cancer New Moon: 2013
- Cancer New Moon: Don't make me go find your roots...you do it!
- Capricorn 2010 NEW MOON--Taking Care of Business!
- Capricorn 2011-Aim your ambition-NOW
- Capricorn New Moon - Get Serious!
- Capricorn New Moon 2011 -Be the authority and move up!
- Capricorn New Moon 2013: Pragmatic and no excuses
- Capricorn New Moon 2014
- Capricorn NEW MOON 2016 ...Get Real!
- Capricorn New Moon: Slow and sensible is a-okay.
- Clean your Slate Capricorn New Moon! by Tracy Cook
- Dreaming on Pisces New Moon by Tracy Cook
- GEMINI NEW MOON 2011 –“Can someone turn on the air, please?”
- Gemini New Moon (2012)- Second time's the charm
- Gemini New Moon 2009---The Fast and Furious Talker
- Gemini New Moon 2010: A Tornado among us!
- Gemini New Moon 2013
- Gemini New Moon 2014: The power of light feet
- Gemini New Moon 2014: The power of light feet
- Gemini New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Gemini New Moon-- Reach out! Mix it Up!
- Gemini New Moon--the first round- 2012
- Gemini New Moon. Mental Exercises 2015
- Gemini New Moon. Mental Exercises 2015
- Gemini New Moon: Question and Shift
- Gemini- New Moon 2008-- Ready to Connect! by Tracy Cook
- Get out of the way---LEO NEW MOON is HERE!
- Get your Viking on--Aries New Moon 2013
- It is all a balancing act, Baby! Libra new moon 2008
- LEO 2008 New Moon--Sunny side of the street by Tracy Cook
- Leo New Moon - Round two & Solar Eclipse 2017
- Leo New Moon - The First One! 2017
- Leo New Moon - The First One! 2017
- Leo New Moon - To be bold or not to be bold? That is the question
- Leo New Moon 2011--Your passion tells you so
- Leo New Moon 2012--The Heart Wants To Thrive
- Leo New Moon 2013: Be Big. Be Very Big
- Leo New Moon 2015: Learn from the Lion!
- LEO NEW MOON 2016: Dare to find Joy & Strength
- Leo's in the House..Roar! Sort of.. by Tracy Cook
- Libra New Moon (2007) by Tracy Cook
- Libra New Moon -How do you relate? Does it serve you?
- Libra New Moon 2009--The business of relating
- Libra New Moon 2012-
- Libra New Moon 2013 -- Balance That!
- Libra New Moon 2014: Let's really get our Libra on this time
- Libra New Moon 2015: Get your relationships straightened out
- Libra New Moon 2016: The Power of Negotiation
- New Moon in Aquarius 2013 Pull out your lightening rod-hits are coming
- New Moon in Virgo--Now you can fix your life
- New Moon Leo 2010--Wish upon a star--"Hey, that's me!"
- Pisces New Moon 2010--The LEAP of FAITH
- Pisces New Moon 2012: What is Dissolving?
- Pisces New Moon 2013 -Get in the flow
- Pisces New Moon 2014: Go for the Flow
- Pisces New Moon 2015
- Pisces New Moon 2016: Karma and Elevation
- Pisces New Moon 2017 -- The Big Release and Melt
- Pisces New Moon---Mystics Apply
- Pisces New Moon--Dive or wash up on shore, it is your choice!
- RESPOND TO RESPONSIBILTY-CAPRICORN NEW MOON 2008
- Sag New Moon 2010-- Ready, Aim---Change!
- Sag New Moon 2012 - A time to get real
- Sag New Moon---All Vision without the Hype!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2009--Ready, Aim, Adjust...Fire, Adjust, Aim, Ready..
- Sagittarius New Moon 2013 - Forward Ho!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2015: The Adventure!
- Sagittarius New Moon 2016: Get Wise Get Inspired
- Sagittarius New Moon--Mother Knows Best
- Saturn in Virgo---Times up! by Tracy Cook
- Scorpio New MOON 2009-Resources and Community--Where do I fit?
- Scorpio New Moon 2010-Jump in the water!
- Scorpio New moon 2012: Suit up and Commit
- Scorpio New Moon 2015
- Scorpio New Moon 2016: Release the death grip
- Scorpio NEW MOON by Tracy Cook
- Scorpio New Moon Solar Eclipse SHED! SHED!SHED!
- Scorpio New Moon(2011)--DNA, Survival and ditching Garbage
- Scorpio New Moon: Solar Eclipse 2014
- scorpio New Moon: Solar Eclipse 2015
- SURE RELATIONSHIPS BITE--BUT WE'RE ALL HUNGRY. Libra New Moon 2010
- Taurus New Moon 2010-----And so we begin.......
- Taurus New Moon 2011--Build upon it!
- TAURUS NEW MOON 2012 --What do you value?
- Taurus New Moon 2017: Practicality for a Personal Revolution
- Taurus New Moon Eclipse: Yes you can make the changes!
- Taurus New Moon. Getting Practical ..Seriously, for real
- Taurus New Moon: Take the short route between A&B
- Taurus to the RESCUE!
- TaurusNewMoon 2014--Building Good bit by bit
- The Sea has changed---SCORPIO NEW MOON 2008
- There she blows!!! SAG NEW MOON is HERE! by Tracy Cook
- Tick Tock Virgo New Moon Strikes the Clock....2008
- Treasure Mapping by Tracy Cook
- Virgo New Moon - Your daily life is YOU. How is it going?
- VIRGO NEW MOON --GET YOUR MICRO ON!
- Virgo New Moon 2011- Help & Work serve you!
- Virgo New Moon 2012: Sweating the Small Stuff
- Virgo New Moon 2013: A Big Opportunity
- Virgo New Moon 2016 - What's that stuff in your schedule?
- Virgo New Moon 2017: Skills Needed! Please Apply
- Virgo New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Virgo New Moon--Details Rule
- Watch out! Here comes Saturn - By Tracy Cook
- What To Do This Taurus New Moon by Tracy Cook
- Who am I? My Sun or My Moon? by Tracy Cook
- Who is in the Hot Seat by Tracy Cook
- You had me at Hello, Aquarius New Moon by Tracy Cook